Easy Fried Ice Cream is a fun way to recreate your favorite Mexican restaurant dessert at home and there is no frying required!
Fried Ice Cream is the perfect dessert for a fancy dinner party as well as a fun activity for the kids to make in the kitchen. Some of our other favorite ice cream based desserts include Ice Cream Pie and this yummy No Bake Peanut Butter Fudge Pie.
What is Fried Ice Cream?
When I was a kid I was always fascinated by the idea of fried ice cream. I would see it on the menu at a Mexican restaurant and wonder how on earth did they do that, how do you fry ice cream?
I remember one of the first times I ever tried it at a restaurant. The ice cream was covered in a crunchy topping and had actually been fried in hot oil! It was topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream and it was so good! I loved the crispy, crunchy coating on the outside and the sweet, smooth, cold ice cream in the middle.
The thought of trying to fry ice cream at home though was a little too much for even me so years ago when my husband’s cousin served us “No Fry” Fried Ice Cream I knew I had found the solution.
How to Make Easy Fried Ice Cream?
The first step is to choose your favorite cereal as the crunchy coating. My favorite cereal is Cinnamon Toast Crunch but you can use what ever sweet cereal you like. I just recommend not using something like Raisin Bran or Cheerios. This is the perfect time to use that sweet, sugary cereal mom never let you have.
- Place the cereal in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. You will need 1/2 cup of cereal per serving of fried ice cream.
- Combine crushed cereal with brown sugar and melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Scoop ice cream into balls and place on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. They are much easier to work with this way. I like to use vanilla ice cream but feel free to use your favorite flavor. This is my favorite scoop to use with the ice cream. It’s also great for scooping muffins and cupcake batter.
- After the scoops of ice cream are firm, remove from the freezer and roll them into the cereal mixture. Use your hands to press it into the ice cream.
- Place the coated ice cream scoops back onto the baking sheet and keep frozen until ready to serve.
How Far Ahead of Time Can I Make Easy Fried Ice Cream?
Besides being delicious, easy fried ice cream is easy to make! I don’t recommend making it too far ahead though as the crunchy cereal can lose it’s crunch if it is made too early or sits in the freezer too long. Making it no sooner than the morning of the day I am going to serve it is what I recommend. I have found that it is best to make it a few hours before serving and then put it in the freezer to give it a little time set up before serving. Add the whipped cream and sauce right before serving.
Check out more of my favorite ice cream desserts:
- Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Lemon Curd Ice Cream Pie
- Creamsicle Ice Cream Pie
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Easy Fried Ice Cream Recipe
Easy Fried Ice Cream
- 6 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 3 cups Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal crushed
- 6 Tbsp butter melted
- 12 Tbsp brown sugar
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Scoop ice cream and place on a baking sheet in the freezer to firm up.
- Crush cereal and combine with brown sugar and butter. Stir to combine.
- Coat frozen ice cream with cereal mixture, use your hands to press it into the ice cream.
- Return ice cream to freezer to firm up or until ready to serve.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate syrup to serve.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!