Tomato Orzo Soup is a dressed up version of a childhood favorite with the addition of pesto and orzo pasta.
Growing up, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches was the go to lunch, especially during those cold winters in Wisconsin! Of course the tomato soup came out of a red and white can!
I still crave a nice bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich every now and then. Instead of opening that red and white can I prefer to make my own tomato basil soup, with a couple of add ins.
How to Make Tomato Orzo Soup
- Saute the garlic and onions in olive oil.
- Add in chicken broth, canned tomatoes and pesto.
- Simmer until the soup thickens.
- Boil orzo in a pan of water until tender.
- Add orzo into soup before serving.
The orzo pasta gives the soup some nice texture and body. The pesto adds in a great basil flavor. I used pesto that I purchased at the store but of course you can make your own homemade pesto if you’d like. The Trader Joe pesto is my favorite store bought pesto.
After letting this soup simmer and thicken up a bit all you have to do is add a grilled cheese sandwich to your Tomato Orzo Soup.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Tomato Orzo Soup Recipe
Tomato Orzo Soup
- 1 qt. of chicken broth
- 29 oz. cans of purreed tomatoes Two 14.5oz cans
- 3 tsp garlic
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 C pesto
- 1/2 C uncooked orzo
- Saute garlic and onions in olive oil until onions are soft.
- Add in chicken broth, tomatoes and pesto and stir to combine
- Simmer over medium low heat until soup thickens and cooks down slightly.
- Boil water (about 1 qt.) to cook orzo in. Cook until tender.
- Add cooked orzo to soup.