The taco bowl is a fun variation on the regular taco. It is all your favorite taco ingredients in a bowl instead of a tortilla!
Tacos were pretty much a weekly menu item when I was a kid. My mom made them with ground beef and served them in those crispy taco shells. I usually added a little lettuce and ketchup. I pretty much ate ketchup on everything when I was a kid.
I love a taco wrapped up in a tortilla but every once in a while it is fun to change things up and a taco bowl is the perfect way to do that.
How to Make a Taco Bowl
- I start with a base of brown rice but you can use white rice or even Mexican rice. Follow my directions for making perfect Instant Pot brown rice every time. On top of the rice I add my meat mixture. I brown up some hamburger and add some seasoning. You could also use ground turkey or chicken if you prefer. You can use packaged taco seasoning if you like but I like to use my own spice mixture that you can find below in the recipe..
- Then top your meat with all your favorite taco toppings. I like to use black beans, corn, pico, cheese, a side of avocado and a garnish of cilantro.
- Of course if you like, you can even add a drizzle of ketchup or taco sauce.
- Let everyone put together their own combination.
Then I like to stir it all up so that all the flavors are evenly distributed throughout. You can add some tortilla chips too if you like for a little extra crunch.
Some of my other favorite bowls:
Taco Bowl Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can whole corn drained
- pico de gallo garnish
- avocado garnish
- cheddar cheese grated
- cilantro garnish
- 1 pkg taco seasoning optional instead of spice blend
- brown rice approx. 1 1/2 cups per serving
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet.
- Mix together seasonings and sprinkle over meat. Stir to incorporate. Simmer for 3-5 minutes
- Add cooked rice to individual serving bowl. Top with ground beef mixture. Add toppings - pico, avocado, cheese, corn, black beans, and cilantro.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.