Made in the Instant Pot this Beef Barbacoa is tender, juicy and full of amazing flavor. A versatile recipe that can be served as a taco, or many other ways.
What is Beef Barbacoa?
Barbacoa is an authentic Mexican dish that is usually made with beef, goat or lamb. Today we are using beef. It is seasoned with chilies and spices and slowly cooked until tender and delicious.
Instead of slow cooking the barbacoa today we are going to cook in the Instant Pot for the same tender beef.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa
- Chuck Roast. Cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Olive Oil. For browning meat.
- Beef Broth
- Lime Juice. Fresh squeezed of bottled.
- Green chilies. Mild and chopped in the can.
- Chipotle Chilies in adobo sauce. Will come in a jar or a can.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Seasonings. Cumin, Oregano, salt and pepper
Is Barbacoa spicy?
Traditionally barbacoa is spicy but you can totally control the heat of this dish by the amount of chipotle peppers you add in. My version is fairly mild so if you like more of a kick, add more chipotle chilies.
How to Make Barbacoa
- Cut roast into 2 inch pieces. Turn Instant Pot to saute, add in olive oil and heat. Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Add in onions.
- In a blender, combine garlic, chipotle peppers, onion, green chilies, lime juice, vinegar, and seasonings and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture over meat in the Instant Pot.
- Add the lid and set Instant Pot to Manual, high pressure for 60 minutes. Make sure valve is set to sealing.
- After 60 minutes do a quick release.
- Remove lid and remove meat onto a baking sheet. With two forks, shred the meat.
Barbacoa Beef Gravy
Combine 2 Tbsp cornstarch and 3 Tbsp of water.
Pour into the liquid left in the Instant Pot and turn to saute.
Cook for several minutes or until it begins to thicken.
Toss meat back into gravy or pour gravy over the shredded meat.
Can I Make Beef Barbacoa in the Slow Cooker?
You can make beef barbacoa in the slow cooker. Add all the ingredients into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
You can brown the meat before adding it to the slow cooker if you like.
How Should I serve Beef Barbacoa?
- Or just by itself.
Be sure and follow me on YouTube for lots of recipe videos!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Instant Pot Barbacoa
- 3 lbs. chuck roast or pot roast cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp chipotles in adobo sauce chopped, for mild, add more for spicy
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 4 oz. green chilies, mild
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Turn Instant Pot to saute
- Add olive oil and pieces of roast. Saute until lightly browned on all sides.
- Add onions into Instant Pot.
- In a blender, combine all remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture over meat in Instant Pot.
- Add lid,. Press Manual, High Pressure for 60 minutes.
- Be sure valve is set to sealing.
- Do a quick release when time is up.
- Remove meat to a baking sheet, shred with two forks.
- To thicken remaining juices, add 2 Tbsp cornstarch to 3 Tbsp water.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté and add cornstarch/water mixture. Stir until gravy begins to thicken.
- Pour gravy over shredded meat.