There is no soaking or draining involved with these Instant Pot Black Beans. Using the Instant Pot is one of the easiest and quickest ways to cook up a batch of delicious, lightly seasoned black beans.
One of the many things I love about black beans is how versatile they are. This slow cooker Salsa Chicken is one way to enjoy them and I also love them in this Black Bean Salsa. A slightly more uncommon way to use them is in Black Bean Hummus.
Instant Pot Beans
I use to just use canned beans I bought at the store for all my black bean recipes but once I discovered how easy and delicious they are in the Instant Pot I never buy them anymore. Purchasing dried black beans is much less expensive, and then I just cook them in the Instant Pot.
Do I Need to Soak My Beans?
If you were going to cook your own beans without the Instant Pot, on the stove top, you would need to soak them overnight but who ever remembers to do that? With the Instant Pot, you don’t need to soak your beans and it only takes 25-30 minutes on high pressure and a 20 minute natural release. Now, if you want to soak your beans and then cook them in the Instant Pot you can do that and they will only take 8 – 10 minutes on high pressure in the Instant Pot. I always do mine unsoaked.
How to Make Instant Pot Black Beans?
- Rinse your black beans with water and drain . Add to Instant Pot.
- Add in onions, garlic, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour in chicken broth (can also use water if you don’t have chicken broth)
How Long Does It Take To Cook Black Beans in the Instant Pot?
Unsoaked Beans – Add lid, set Instant Pot to manual, high pressure for 25-30 (30 minutes for slightly softer beans).
Soaked Beans – Add lid, set Instant Pot to manual, high pressure for 8-10 minutes. (10 minutes for slightly softer beans).
Do a 20 minute natural release for either soaked or unsoaked beans.
Remove the lid, stir beans to absorb some of the liquid and serve.
How many cups does 1 pound of black beans make?
- One pound dried beans is equal to 2 cups dried beans which makes 5 cups cooked beans.
- If a recipe calls for a 15 ounce can of beans, that is 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Check out more of my Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Quinoa
- Instant Pot Bread
- Easy Instant Pot Brown Rice
- Perfect Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- Instant Pot Mexican Beef
- You can also use the black beans in this healthy chili.
Instant Pot Black Bean Recipe
Instant Pot Black Beans
- 1 lb. dry black beans 2 cups
- 3 cups chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- cilantro garnish
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Place all ingredients but cilantro into the Instant Pot, stir to combine.
- Close the lid and put valve on sealing.
- Set Instant Pot to Manual, high pressure for 25 minutes, 30 for softer beans.
- Allow pressure to release naturally for 15-20 minutes.
- Quick release any remaining pressure, stir beans to absorb some of the liquid.
- Add any additional salt or pepper as needed and serve.
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!