You can create creamy and delicious Instant Pot Potato Soup in minutes! There is no baking, no boiling, no draining involved. It’s the perfect comfort food for a cold winter’s night.
Soup is one of my favorite things to make in my Instant Pot. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s delicious. You can literally have homemade soup in under 30 minutes.
Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
- Peel your potatoes. This is the hardest part of Instant Pot Soup! After peeling, cube them into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Saute onions, butter and garlic in Instant Pot for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft. I love the saute feature on the Instant Pot!!
- Add in peeled potatoes, salt and chicken broth.
- Put on lid and make sure valve is set to sealing. Cook on manual, high pressure for 10 minutes then do a quick release.
- Make a roux while potatoes are cooking. Melt 4 Tbsp of butter in a pan and add in 1/4 cup flour. Stir to combine and cook until thickened, only a minute or two. The roux is the thickening agent for your soup.
- Use a quick release and then remove the lid.
- Add in the roux. Turn the pot to saute and cook the soup for 4-5 minutes until thickened. Smash the potatoes to the desired consistency with a fork or spoon. You can leave them as chunky as you like.
- Add in cream and cheese Stir to combine.
Your soup is now ready to serve!
It is ready to garnish with your favorite baked potato toppings. I like to add crispy bacon, grated cheese and sliced green onion.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Other favorite Instant Pot recipes:
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 5-6 large russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup onions diced
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt more to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper more to taste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese grated
- bacon cooked and diced
- green onion diced
- Cheddar cheese grated
- Peel and cube potatoes
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and saute onion, garlic and butter until onions are soft.
- Add in potatoes and chicken broth.
- Place lid on Instant pot and turn vent to sealing. Cook on manual high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release.
- While potatoes are cooking, melt butter in a small pan and add in flour. Stir to combine and cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until it thickens.
- Remove lid from Instant Pot and stir in roux. Turn the pot to saute and cook the soup for 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Mash some of the potatoes with a fork or spoon.
- Stir in cream and cheese
- Serve soup and garnish with cooked bacon green onion and grated cheese
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot Tomato Soup or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!