This Taco Bake was a go to recipe at our house when the kids were young. A delicious crust filled with seasoned ground beef and all your favorite taco toppings.
Go To Dinner Ideas
I think every mom has their “Go To” dinner recipes. I know I do. Now that we are empty nesters my “Go To” dinner recipe is sometimes take out!!
When I was a mom of four little kids those go to recipes usually included Boboli pizza, BBQ Chicken Wingettes and tacos. I remember one of my mom’s go to recipes was also tacos. We liked those crispy shells. This recipe for taco bake was also one of my go to dinner ideas when I wanted a variation on the standard taco!
The nice thing about Taco Bake is the ingredients are ones I usually have on hand. A pound of hamburger in the freezer, taco seasoning, cheese, lettuce, tomato and some tortilla chips.
How to Make Taco Bake
Taco Bake Crust
For Taco Bake you start with a crust rather than a tortilla. One of my favorite parts of Taco Bake is the crust. It is more like bread than a tortilla. There are crushed up tortilla chips in the crust for some nice crunch and texture.
I browned up a pound of hamburger and added some taco seasoning and a bit of water, letting it simmer for a few minutes and then add it into the unbaked crust.
After it bakes for about 30 minutes remove it from the oven and then top it with your favorite taco toppings. We used grated cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce and some chopped tomatoes. We also liked sliced olives but I didn’t have any this time.
All you have to do is slice it up and serve. You can also top it with some ranch dressing or any favorite dressing for more of a taco salad effect.
Be sure and follow me on YouTube for lots of recipe videos!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store. Did you know I wrote a cookbook?
Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Taco Bake Recipe
Taco Bake Recipe
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 Tbsp dried minced onion
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- Any other taco toppings of your choice
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp pkg quick rise yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp dried mince onion
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cups warm water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- Combine 1 C flour, yeast, sugar, onion and salt and mix well.
- Add warm water (110-115 degrees) and oil to flour mixture
- Mix by hand until almost smooth.
- Stir in chips and enough flour to make a stiff batter.
- Spread in a greased 10 inch pie pan and form a rim
- Cover and let rise for about 10 minutes.
- Cook hamburger with diced onion, until meat is cooked through
- Add in taco seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Add meat mixture to crust after it has risen for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 30- 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese, lettuce and tomatoes
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.