Tex-Mex style Steak Fajitas are made with flat iron steak, peppers and onions and served on fresh flour tortillas. Flat Iron Steak Fajitas are the best fajitas I have ever eaten!
There are a few tricks for cooking flat iron steak. First, it can be used interchangeable with recipes that call for flank steak and skirt steak. And all of these cuts of meat are best served grilled. Second, flat iron steak is best when not cooked beyond medium. It gets tough if overcooked. And third, It is best when marinated. A good marinade not only adds a ton of flavor, it should contain an acid like citrus, vinegar, or whine that helps tenderize the meat.
How to Make Flat Iron Steak Fajitas
Marinate the steak for a few hours before grilling to help tenderize the meat and give it lots of amazing flavor. If you are short on time, 30 minutes will do. But the longer the better. While your meat is grilling, toss the peppers and onions into a cast iron skillet and cook until tender and slightly charred on the edges. Once the steak is done and your peppers are cooked all you need are some tortillas for a delicious dinner. And if you are watching the carbs, just skip the tortilla.
I love my fajitas served on a fresh, warm flour tortilla. I prefer the ones you can buy that are uncooked. You usually in the deli section of the store. Then all you have to do is cook them up in a frying pan right before serving. They are so much better that way!!
Don’t overcook your steak. Flat iron steak is best cooked medium. The meat has so much more flavor when you don’t overcook it. I used to only eat my meat well done. But I have changed my ways and now love the flavor and texture of a medium steak.
Garnish with a little cilantro and grated cheese, pico or guacamole for the perfect flat iron steak fajita.
Check out more of my favorite fajita recipes
Flat Iron Steak Fajita Recipe
Flat Iron Steak Fajitas
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lb flat iron steak
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 peppers, green, red, yellow sliced thinly
- 1 sweet onion sliced thinly
- Mix together paprika, brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Place steak in a large plastic resealable bag and add in juice of 1 lime, 1 Tbsp oil and the spice mixture. Rub the spices into the meat.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- In a cast iron skillet, add 1 Tbsp olive oil, onions and peppers. Cook over medium heat until the veggies are tender and the edges begin to char.
- Grill meat on high for about 3-5 minutes per side or until desired doneness.
- Slice the steak against the grain. Serve with peppers on a flour tortilla.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.