All the taste and flavor of pumpkin pie but in the form of ice cream! It’s creamy and perfectly spiced. Don’t wait for Thanksgiving to make it.
For more pumpkin goodness check out these pumpkin bars, pumpkin pie milk shake and a pumpkin cheesecake.
If there was ever a pumpkin recipe to convert you to pumpkin today’s recipe for Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream may just be the one!
After we had a pumpkin milk shake at a local restaurant, I fell in love and decided I wanted to recreate the flavor at home so I started experimenting. Four batches of ice cream later I think I found it. One of the batches ended up completely down the sink and the other two batches were worth at least a bowl before they went down the sink but today’s recipe for Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream was the winner!!
Unlike the pumpkin milkshake we enjoyed I decided to add a little texture into the ice cream and something to make it seem more like pumpkin pie. I have used both crumbled up oatmeal cookies and graham crackers. You could also use a gingersnap cookie.
I experimented with using plain pumpkin with some seasoning and then using the pumpkin pie filling, the pumpkin that already has the spices mixed in.
The pumpkin pie filling version was the clear winner.
Pumpkin Pie ice Cream Ingredients
Milk. I use a combination of whole milk, whipping cream and half and half. Half and half is 50:50 milk to whipping cream.
Sugar. Use a combination of brown sugar and white granulated sugar.
Pumpkin. Definitely use the canned pumpkin pie filling vs. the canned pumpkin puree.
Cookies. I have used both oatmeal cookies and graham crackers and both are great. Ginger cookies could be used but they are definitely a stronger cookie and can overpower the pumpkin flavor.
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
One of the things I love about this recipe is there is no cooking required. Unlike many ice cream bases, this one does not use eggs so does not need to be cooked.
- Combine all the ingredients and pour into your ice cream maker. Churn ice cream according to manufacturer’s directions.
- After churning place ice cream into an insulated ice cream container and freeze to harden.
This ice cream would make a fabulous addition to your Thanksgiving dessert menu. It would be great just by itself or use a scoop of it on top of your pumpkin pie for a lot of pumpkin flavor!
I love the little bit of crunch of the oatmeal cookie in the ice cream.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cups pumpkin pie filling
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 oatmeal cookies or graham crackers, broken up
- Mix together sugars and pumpkin pie filling, salt and vanilla.
- Add in milk, whipping cream and half and half. Stir to incorporate.
- Place in ice cream maker and process according to directions.
- When ice cream is almost done, stir in broken cookies or crackers and process for a few more minutes to incorporate cookies throughout ice cream.
- Place ice cream into an insulated container and place in freezer to set up.
Originally posted Nov. 12, 2012
Leave a Review