Create the cutest, easiest Halloween Donuts using store bought donuts, homemade glaze and candy eyes. They are guaranteed to be the hit of your Halloween party.
Why You’ll Love This!
Quick & Easy Halloween Treats! You can either use store bought doughnuts to make these Halloween donuts or you can easily make your own using my Baked Donut recipe.
We made our own donut glaze using the simple recipe below. some sprinkles and candy eyes we created these quick and easy donuts. A few candy eyes can turn anything into a fun Halloween treat.
With donuts from the grocery stores you can create dozens of fun Halloween donuts in minutes!
To make your own candy eyes follow my tutorial here.
Milk or cream
Halloween sprinkles. Use your favorite Halloween sprinkle blend and chocolate sprinkles
Food coloring. Orange, Green, Purple and Black.
What Kind of Donuts are the Best to use?
I used unglazed, unfrosted cake donuts (except I did purchase a few chocolate frosted donuts)for my Halloween donuts. You could also use a raised donut if you prefer and pick up a box of glazed donuts at Krispy Kreme.
If you are going to glaze your Halloween donuts with colored glaze it is easier to use an unglazed donut as the glaze or frosting that comes on the donut will prevent the glaze you dip into from sticking well. You will need to dip it at least twice. It is totally doable though.
How to Make Halloween Donuts
- In a bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract and enough milk to make a nice glazing consistency. Start with 1-2 Tbsp and then add a little bit more at a time until you get the right consistency.
- If it too runny, add some additional powdered sugar, if it is too thick, add more milk or cream.
- Add desired food coloring. I used four colors in addition to leaving one bowl white. I made green icing , orange icing, purple icing and black icing.
- Dip top half of donut into glaze.
- Lightly shake donut to get glaze to become an even layer.
- Place on a cooling rack and allow excess glaze to drip off. If glaze is too thin, you may need to dip it a second time.
- While the glaze is still wet, add sprinkles or candy eyes. The more googly candy eyes the better!
How to Make Spider donuts
- Thicken the white glaze you used to dip the donuts into by adding some additional powdered sugar.
- Leave it white or add some black food coloring.
- Place the thickened icing (either black or white) into a decorating bag with a small round tip.
- Pipe lines around the donut first and then add lines through those web lines.
- Make a little spider on the web, add a candy eye or two. Don’t forget his little spider legs!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use candy melts instead of frosting on Halloween donuts?
If you prefer, you can totally use candy melts to dip the donut into. Place the melts in a bowl and melt in the microwave. If the chocolate is not smooth enough to dip the donut into, add 1 Tbsp of melted coconut oil. Stir to incorporate.
What size piping tip did you use for the spider web?
I used a size 3 round tip for the spider web
How do you make black frosting?
You can add black food coloring to the frosting. I find that the gel food coloring gives you the best color. You could also make chocolate frosting and use it (it will be brown instead of black). Add some cocoa powder the white glaze.
If you loved these Halloween donuts, check out more fun Halloween recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Halloween Donut Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- food coloring optional
- Place powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk in a bowl.
- Stir until combined and smooth. A nice glazing consistency.
- If it's too thick add a small amount of additional milk. If it's too runny add some additional powdered sugar.
- Add desired food coloring. If using liquid food coloring, this will add additional liquid and make the glaze runnier.