Blueberry Compote only has 3 ingredients and can be made in less than 20 minutes. It is the perfect addition to pancakes, waffles, cake or ice cream.
Blueberry Compote is a fancy name for fruit sauce! It can be made with fresh fruit or frozen fruit. It has so many uses too. My favorite way to enjoy blueberry compote is on pancakes. I think it is a perfect accompaniment to my lemon pancakes but it is also delicious on waffles and crepes. It would also be delicious on this pound cake. I also love it over vanilla ice cream.
Blueberry Compote is a nice alternative to syrup. Not as sweet and sugary although there is definitely sugar in it. There are so many possibilities for ways to use blueberry compote! It just makes everything taste better and looks fancier and only takes minutes to put together.
What is Compote?
- Compote is a topping originating from medieval Europe, made of fruit and sugar.
- Often spices or flavorings are also added in such as vanilla, lemon, cinnamon, cloves etc.
- The ingredients are cooked together and it can be served warm or cold.
- It can be made with fresh fruit or frozen fruit.
How to make compote?
It is a simple process and only takes minutes.
- Combine half of your berries, all the sugar and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and stir for about 10 minutes or until the berries begin to burst.
- Add in remaining berries and cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Cook until the syrup coats the spoon, it will thicken slightly.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold.
Check out more delicious blueberry recipes:
Blueberry Compote Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups blueberries fresh or frozen, thawed if frozen
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Combine half of berries, sugar and water in a medium sauce pan.
- Cook over medium until berries burst, stir often. About 10 minutes.
- Add in remaining berries.
- Cook until compote coats spoon.
- Enjoy warm or cool.