Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are a recipe that everyone needs in their cooking repertoire. Perfect for breakfast or dinner!
I love a good pancake. When we go out for breakfast my menu choice is almost always pancakes. And although I love pancakes for breakfast, I think I might like them more for dinner. Buttermilk pancakes for dinner is the perfect go to dinner when you are short on time and out of ideas. I call it pancakes in a pinch. They come together in minutes and the whole family will love them.
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes From Scratch
- Use real buttermilk if possible. You can make a buttermilk substitute by adding vinegar to your milk but you don’t get the same flavor or consistency. Be sure and make a batch of Buttermilk Syrup with your leftover buttermilk.
- Mix your dry ingredients together and your wet ingredients together and then pour wet into dry. You want to avoid over stirring your batter. Over stirring makes for a tough not fluffy pancake.
- It’s o.k. to have lumps in your batter. Again, don’t over stir!
- Cook your pancakes in a butter coated skillet or pan. The butter adds additional amazing flavor and gives the pancakes a nice golden brown color.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop your batter, this will give you even sized pancakes.
- Don’t flip your pancake too soon. You want bubbles to form on the surface, just as they begin to pop is when you flip!
- Don’t ever take your spatula and press down on your pancakes! Ever!!
Buttermilk pancakes from scratch are the only and best way to enjoy pancakes. No more pancake mixes allowed. It is so easy to mix up your own you will never go back to the store bought mixes once you try these. And the best part is you will always have something for dinner. Pancakes in a pinch!
I love adding some more butter to the top of my pancakes along with some syrup. Real maple syrup is always a good choice and our family loves cinnamon syrup and buttermilk syrup both of which are easy to make yourself. The addition of some fresh berries is always a good idea.
Check out more of my delicious pancakes recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes Recipe
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Combine liquid ingredients in a bowl.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl, forming a well in the middle.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Batter does not need to be perfectly smooth.
- Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter onto a lightly greased griddle.
- Cook until bubbles form and just begin to pop. Flip pancakes and finish cooking.
Need some help figuring out what’s for dinner tonight?
Come join our Facebook Group! Join hundreds of others who love sharing dinner time ideas. You don’t want to miss out on the fun!
You’ll find lots of ideas for dinner from all our awesome members and you can share your ideas too! Join the Family Dinner Table today.