Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes are a recipe that everyone needs in their cooking repertoire. This recipe is guaranteed to become your favorite pancake recipe.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
I love a good pancake. When we go out for breakfast my menu choice is almost always pancakes. Although I love pancakes for breakfast, I think I might like them more for dinner. Buttermilk pancakes for dinner is the perfect go to dinner when you are short on time and out of ideas. I call it pancakes in a pinch. They come together in minutes and the whole family will love them.
- Buttermilk. See tip box below if you need to make your own buttermilk.
- Canola oil
- Flour. I use unbleached all purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Although I think real buttermilk is best in this recipe, you can make a buttermilk substitute by adding vinegar to your milk. You just won’t get the same flavor or consistency. Be sure and make a batch of Buttermilk Syrup with your leftover buttermilk.
How to Make Buttermilk Pancakes From Scratch
- Whisk your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mix your wet ingredients together in another bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients mixture into dry ingredients. Mixing them in separate bowls helps prevent overmixing the batter. Over stirring makes for a tough not fluffy pancake.
- Don’t worry if you have some lumps in your batter. Again, don’t over stir!
- Cook your pancakes in a butter coated skillet or pan. The melted butter adds additional amazing flavor and gives the pancakes a nice golden brown color.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop your batter, this will give you even sized pancakes.
- Don’t flip your pancake too soon. You want bubbles to form on the surface, just as they begin to pop is when you flip!
- Don’t ever take your spatula and press down on your pancakes! Ever!!
How Do you Know when Pancakes are ready to flip?
Your buttermilk pancakes will be ready to flip when bubbles form in the batter and the pancake begins to look set and dry around the edges.
You can gently lift up the edge of the pancake to make sure it is golden brown underneath.
Buttermilk pancakes from scratch are the only and best way to enjoy pancakes. No more pancake mixes allowed. It is so easy to mix up your own you will never go back to the store bought mixes once you try these. And the best part is you will always have something for dinner. Remember, pancakes in a pinch!
Pancake Add Ins
- Chocolate Chips
- Sliced Strawberries
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best way to store leftover pancakes?
Leftover pancakes can be store in an airtight plastic bag in the fridge for 2-3 days. They can also be frozen. Just place in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To rewarm your frozen pancake pop it in the toaster or the microwave.
Check out more of my delicious pancake recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Combine liquid ingredients in a bowl.
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl, forming a well in the middle.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Batter does not need to be perfectly smooth.
- Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop batter onto a lightly greased griddle.
- Cook until bubbles form and just begin to pop. Flip pancakes and finish cooking.