Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup is rich and thick and perfect for a chilly fall or winter night.
For more delicious soup recipes try these: Steak Soup,
The cold weather has arrived. I can see my breath when I go out for a walk and I have had to scrap ice off my windows a few times.
We enjoy soup year round at our house but especially in the fall and winter. Nothing is quite as satisfying as getting a pot of hearty soup going in the slow cooker in the morning, smelling it simmer all day and then enjoying a big bowl full for dinner!
Today’s recipe for slow cooker beef and barley soup is a “hearty” soup. Not only does it have tender chunks of meat but I love the barley in it. It is delicious and really helps to fill you up.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Brown the meat. Heat two TabIespoons of olive oil in a skillet and add meat. Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. If I am pressed for time I will put the meat into the slow cooker without browning it first. If you don’t brown the meat, skip the olive oil but add in the Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Cook the meat until lightly browned.
- Add meat, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes and tomatoes into the slow cooker.
- Add in seasonings and beef broth. Stir to incorporate.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After seven hours, add in the barley and turn the slow cooker up to high and let it cook one more hour.
The only other thing you need might be a nice loaf of french bread. Now you’re ready for fall!
Can I Make Crock Pot Beef and Barley Stew in the Instant Pot?
- Season beef with salt & pepper. Place 1 Tbso oil in the bottom of Instant Pot and set to “Saute”. Add in Montreal Steak seasoning and brown the beef.
- Remove beef and add in remaining oil along with onions and celery. Saute to soften. Add in garlic and stir for another minute.
- Add in carrots, tomatoes, potatoes, barley, broth and seasoning.
- Stir together, place lid on and set valve to “seal”. Cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 15 minutes with a 15 minutes natural release followed by a quick release.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 lb. stew meat
- 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 /2 cup barley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- Brown meat in oil and season with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Place meat in slow cooker
- Add in vegetables, liquid, tomatoes, seasoning, sugar and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours
- Add in barley and cook on high for one additional hour
Originally posted Nov. 1, 2013