Italian Wedding Soup is a complete meal with tender meatballs, vegetables and pasta all in a delicious broth.
Over the holiday break we attended a wedding that had a soup and sandwich bar. A fun idea. There were several different selections of soup and I went for the Italian Wedding Soup – it was a wedding after all! The mother of the bride had made all the soup herself! I had never had Italian Wedding Soup before and it was delicious.
What is Italian Wedding Soup?
This is a traditional Italian-American soup that contains green vegetables (in this case spinach) and some kind of meat (pork). According to Wikipedia, “The term “wedding soup” is a mistranslation of the Italian language phrase “minestra maritata (“married soup”),” which is a reference to the fact that green vegetables and meats go well together.”
What Does Italian Wedding Soup Have In It?
- Orzo pasta
- Chicken broth
- Parmesan Cheese
Meatballs. I made and baked my meatballs first and then added them to the soup. Some recipes have you add the raw meatball into the soup and cook it in the broth. I think the flavor is better if they are baked before adding to the soup.
Make the meatballs small, about two bites worth. You can always use premade, frozen meatballs but they are a little too big for my preference but will do in a pinch. No need to bake them, just add them to the soup broth and simmer until heated through.
Pasta. Use a small pasta. I like using orzo but you could also use an acini de pepe.
Spinach. I like to add the spinach in right at the end, before serving.
Cheese. Garnish the soup with a generous amount of Parmesan cheese. I forgot to add it before taking the pictures.
We loved the soup and with the pasta and the meatballs it was hardy enough for a meal. Add some crusty bread and you have a delicious meal.
For a few other of my favorite soup recipes check out these:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 lb. ground pork
- 3 Tbsp Italian Breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup Orzo pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 carrots finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce divided
- 1 tsp dried sage divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Combine pork, breadcrumbs and 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese, 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tsp sage in a bowl,. Mix to combine.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 until cooked through (approx. 7-10 minutes)
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and carrots and cook until softened, about 4 minutes
- Add 2 tsp garlic and 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tsp sage. Cook 1 minute
- Add chicken broth and water. Bring to a boil
- Cover and reduce heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in orzo pasta and cook until pasta is tender (about 6-8 minutes)
- Add in meatballs.
- Add in spinach right before serving.
- Garnish with Parmesan
Leave a Review