Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup is rich, thick and hearty soup that is perfect for a chilly fall or winter night.
The cold weather has arrived. I can see my breath when I go out for a walk and I have had to scrap ice off my windows a few times.
We enjoy soup year round at our house but especially in the fall and winter. Nothing is quite as satisfying as getting a pot of hearty soup going in the slow cooker in the morning, smelling it simmer all day and then enjoying a big bowl full for dinner!
- Beef. I like to use stew meat that you can buy already cut up in the meat department. It makes it quick and easy but you could also buy a sirloin, chuck or round steak and cube up the meat yourself.
- Barley. You can substitute regular barley for pearl barley, farro or even rice. Rice will cook faster than barley. Barley is found in the grain aisle (with the rice and pasta) at the grocery store.
- Tomatoes. The recipe calls for crushed tomatoes. If you only have whole or diced tomatoes just place them in the blender and blend until smooth before adding them to the slow cooker.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- Brown the meat. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet and add meat.
- Season with Montreal Steak Seasoning. If I am pressed for time I will put the meat into the slow cooker without browning it first. If you don’t brown the meat, skip the olive oil but add in the Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Cook the meat until lightly browned.
- Add meat, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes and tomatoes into the slow cooker.
- Stir in seasonings and beef broth. Stir to incorporate.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- After seven hours, add in the barley and turn the slow cooker up to high and let it cook one more hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Not very long! They have tendency to disappear fast around our house but if you do find yourself with a few leftovers they will last 2-3 days refrigerated and unrefrigerated they will last 1-2 days.
For more delicious soup recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Beef and Barley Soup
- 1 lb. stew meat
- 1 tsp Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 /2 cup barley
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 potatoes cubed and peeled
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- salt to taste
- Brown meat in oil and season with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Place meat in slow cooker
- Add in vegetables, liquid, tomatoes, seasoning, sugar and pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours
- Add in barley and cook on high for one additional hour
Originally posted Nov. 1, 2013