This Small Batch Pancake Recipe is perfect for breakfast or dinner for two.
Buttermilk Pancakes for Two
This small batch pancake recipe is perfect for our reduced size family. It makes six medium sized pancakes which is just right for us. You can easily double the recipe if you need more. You can find my full size Buttermilk Pancake recipe here. These are some of the lightest and fluffiest pancakes you will ever eat.
Buttermilk Pancake Ingredients
- All purpose flour
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Canola Oil
Why Use Buttermilk for Pancakes?
Because of a higher acid content than regular milk, Buttermilk makes the pancakes more tender, moist, thick, and fluffy and it also adds a slight tang. The buttermilk reacts with the baking soda and generates bubbles of carbon dioxide which makes the pancakes lighter.
How to Make Buttermilk
If you don’t have buttermilk you can use regular milk and add 1 Tbsp of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk.
How to make Small Batch Pancakes
I always mix my pancake batter by hand. Overmixing the batter can create a tough pancake.
- Mix together your dry ingredients in a bowl. Form a well in the middle of the flour.
- Combine wet ingredients together.
- Pour wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients.
- Mix until ingredients are combined. Do not over mix. You will have lumps in your batter and that is just fine.
- Using a 1/3 cup scoop, pour batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle.
- Using a scoop gives you even sized pancakes which means they will cook more evenly.
- Cook until bubbles begin to form on the surface and just begin to pop. That is when you know your pancakes are ready to flip. DO NOT flip them before or you will end up with pancake batter all over.
- After you flip them you are going to be tempted to take your spatula and press down on them. DO NOT DO THIS! Trust me, you are going to want to but resist the urge! You want to keep those pancakes nice and fluffy!
DON’T DO THIS!!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Pancake Recipe for 2
Pancakes for Two
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 TBSP canola oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl, forming a well in the middle.
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just combined. Batter will be lumpy.
- Let batter rest for 10 minutes.
- Using a cookie or muffin scoop, pour batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle.
- Cook until bubbles form. Flip pancakes and finish cooking.