Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes will quickly become a favorite on the breakfast or breakfast for dinner menu at your house!
Breakfast has never really been my baby. I’m the girl who grew up drinking Instant Breakfast every morning and even now I start my weekdays with a green smoothie. I guess I prefer to drink my breakfast! I actually prefer breakfast food for dinner rather than breakfast!
If I’m going to eat my breakfast, rather than drink it, my first choice is always pancakes. A nice, light and fluffy pancake topped with my favorite syrup is a weekend favorite. But pancakes often make an appearance at dinner more often than the breakfast table at our house.
How to Make Oatmeal Pancakes
- Combine all your dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix together oil, egg, vanilla and Buttermilk in another bowl.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Cook on a hot griddle.
You may think these pancakes would be heavy due to the wheat flour and oatmeal but they are light and fluffy. The brown sugar also gives them great flavor.
Tips for Cooking Pancakes
- Use a preheated griddle. I always sprinkle a few drops of water onto it to make sure it’s nice and hot. You want that water to dance.
- If you don’t have quick cooking oats you can just use regular oats and pulse them a few times in the food processor or blender to make them into quick cooking oats.
- Lightly grease the griddle with some butter (adds extra flavor to the pancake too)
- I use a measuring cup or a large muffin scoop to pour my batter and to make sure my pancakes are the same size.
- Only flip your pancake after it becomes dry around the edges and bubbles have formed all over the top. Most people flip their pancakes too soon! You can peek at the bottom to see if it’s getting nice and golden brown before flipping.
- After flipping, do not press down on the pancake with your spatula. It’s a natural tendency to want to do it, but don’t do it!
Brown Sugar Oatmeal Pancakes are the perfect way to say welcome to the weekend!
Be sure and follow me on YouTube for lots of recipe videos!
Oatmeal Pancake Recipe
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl mix together the egg, oil, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not over mix. Just stir until combined.
- Pour batter by 1/2 cupfuls on to a greased and preheated griddle.
- Flip when the pancakes are dry on the edges and bubbles form over the top.
- After flipping, do not press down on the pancake to flatten it with the spatula!
- Serve with butter or your favorite syrup