Whether you are planning a romantic meal for two or a family celebration, these Chocolate Lava Cake for Two are perfect. Make the recipe as is for two or double or triple it for feeding the whole family!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
- They are ooey, gooey and chocolatey. Everyone loves them and it is always what I order when I see it on a restaurant menu!
- It’s fun to eat! I love taking a spoon and digging in and having that chocolate lava flow out onto your plate!! How does that happen anyway??
- Chocolate Lava Cake for Two is the perfect dessert for a romantic dinner for two or Valentine’s Day celebration. It is best eaten warm, right out of the oven.
- These molten chocolate cakes looks so fancy and impressive but it is so easy to make.
- Chocolate – I use semi-sweet chocolate but have also used a combination of dark chocolate and milk chocolate. You can even use bittersweet chocolate if you prefer. Use your favorite combo, just be sure to use a good quality of chocolate bar. You can use chocolate chips, if that is what you have.
- Powdered Sugar. This is confectioner’s sugar, not granulated sugar.
- Flour. I prefer unbleached all purpose flour
- Butter. I use salted butter but if using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt.
- Vanilla Extract
- 6-ounce Ramekins
How to Make Chocolate Lava Cake For Two
Once you see how easy these are to make they are going to be on repeat at your house.
- Grease your ramekins well. This is my favorite baking spray.
- Melt your butter and chocolate on the stove top or in a bowl in the microwave. If using the microwave, stir every 30 seconds to prevent burning.
- Add in eggs, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk to combine and then add in flour.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared ramekins. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet to make it easier to get in and out of oven.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-14 minutes. After removing them from the oven allow them to sit for one minute in the ramekin.
- Take a sharp knife and run it around the edges of the cake make sure it comes out nice and clean.
- Invert onto a plate. Add ice cream and enjoy immediately. You can also eat it directly out of the ramekin if you prefer.
How to Serve
Frequently Asked Questions
You can also use a muffin pan, just be sure and grease it well.
You can make the batter ahead of time (day before) and put it into the ramekins. Place in the fridge. Allow the ramekins to sit on the counter until they come to room temperature before baking.
Yes! If there are more than two of you this recipe easily doubles or triples. Don’t forget if you are feeding a crowd it may be easier to make my chocolate lava cupcakes.
For more delicious dessert ideas try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chocolate Lava Cake for Two
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- non stick baking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray two 6 oz. ramekins with non stick baking spray.
- In a bowl, combine butter and chocolate and melt in microwave or on stove top. Stir every 30 seconds in the microwave until melted and smooth.
- Add in powdered sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir until combined.
- Add in flour and mix until just combined. Don't over stir.
- Evenly divide mixture into the two ramekins.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the edges are firm but the center is still slightly soft. Remove from the oven and let sit for 1 minute.
- Turn ramekin upside down onto a serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve with fresh berries and ice cream if desired.
Tips & Notes:
- You can make the batter ahead of time (day before) and put it into the ramekins. Place in the fridge. Allow the ramekins to sit on the counter until they come to room temperature before baking.
- If you. need to feed more people this recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.