Chocolate Lava Cupcakes say love and chocolate! A delicious and elegant Valentine’s treat and so easy to make in cupcake form.
One of my favorite restaurant desserts is Chocolate Lava Cake. If it is on the menu, I’ll order it. Not only are they delicious but they are just so fun to eat. Who doesn’t love spooning into the cake and watching the chocolate lava just flow out of the cake!? What’s not to love about all that warm chocolate gooey goodness. And when you add a scoop of cold ice cream to it, you’ve got heaven!
This recipe for Chocolate Lava Cupcakes is just perfect for when you are serving more than a couple of people and you want a little smaller serving size. The recipe makes 24 cupcakes so you have plenty for everyone some to share. They are just the right amount of chocolate when they come cupcake size.
Can I Reheat Chocolate Lava Cupcakes?
If you end of up with leftovers, don’t worry! They are easy to pop in the microwave and warm up in about 15-20 seconds and all that warm gooeyness in the middle reappears!
Before you start the cupcakes you will want to make the chocolate ganache that goes in the middle. It needs to cool in the refrigerator for about an hour so it thickens up. It will be thick pudding like once it is cooled.
How to Make Lava Cake Cupcakes
- Ganache Before you start the cupcakes you will want to make the chocolate ganache that goes in the middle. It needs to cool in the refrigerator for about an hour so it thickens up. It will be thick pudding like once it is cooled.
- Cake To help make this a quicker and easier dessert, I used a Devil’s Food cake mix as my base. I added water, oil, eggs and chocolate pudding mix to it.
- Prepare Be sure and spray and flour your cupcake pan really well! You don’t want these babies to stick.
- Fill Fill your muffin tins about 1/3 full of batter.
- Add in Ganache Spoon about one tablespoon of the chocolate ganache on top of each cupcake. The first time I just left the ganache sitting on top. The cupcake does bake up around it but you do end up with a little crater in the middle of your cupcake. Not a bad thing and it is a perfect spot to put a scoop of ice cream. The second batch (it makes 2 dozen) I used the back of my spoon and pressed the ganache into the cupcake batter. I ended up with a cupcake that was a little neater looking and no big hole.
- Chocolate I prefer to use chocolate bars or blocks of baking chocolate instead of chocolate chips for the ganache because I think it melts more smoothly which is important for this recipe.
What is Ganache?
Ganache is a mixture of chocolate and cream and is used as an icing or filling on baked goods. It is what makes the delicious, ooey gooey middle of the lava cake.
Finish off the cupcakes with a dusting of powdered sugar and then serve them with a scoop of ice cream. You want to eat these babies warm so be sure and time the baking so that they are coming out of the oven right before you want to eat them.
Can I Prep Chocolate Lava Cupcakes in Advance?
This dessert is best when prepared, baked and served at the same time but like I mentioned above, leftovers can be reheated in the microwave but it is best served fresh.
Other favorite chocolate desserts:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Chocolate Lava Cupcake Recipe
Chocolate Lava Cupcakes
- 3/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Devil's Food cake mix
- 1 4 oz. chocolate fudge instant pudding pie filling
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a sauce pan heat whipping cream until it is not but does not boil. Add in chocolate chips and stir until melted and smooth. Refrigerate for one hour so it thickens up. Stir occasionally.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour cupcake/muffin pan. Combine cake mix, pudding, water, oil and eggs in mixer and mix on low for 30 seconds and then medium for 2 minutes. Place 1/3 C of batter into each muffin cup. Spoon 1 Tbsp of ganache on top of batter and press into batter with back of spoon.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until top springs back when touched.
- Cool 1 minute
- Remove from pan and place on cooling rack or parchment paper. Cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with ice cream.
- Can be reheated in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds.
Originally posted February 9, 2012
If you’ve tried this Chocolate Lava Cupcakes or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!