If you are going to be spending it like we are – a quiet afternoon at home after church, today’s recipe may be just what you are looking for. Balsamic Honey Pulled Pork Sliders are perfect football watching food.
This is another quick and easy dinner idea. Two in one week. If you missed the Asian Pork and Cabbage Salad I shared on Monday, you missed out!
I first enjoyed Balsamic Honey Pulled Pork Sliders at a neighbor’s Halloween party. That was when Cruella Deville and Horace made an appearance. I love pulled pork but I especially loved it with the balsamic honey sauce on it. The sweetness of the honey along with the sweetness of the balsamic vinegar is lovely.
I used a pork shoulder roast and cooked it in the crockpot on low for 9-10 hours or you could do it on high for 4-5 hours. I combined it with onion and sprinkle the meat with seasoning of thyme and rosemary. Then chicken broth is poured over it.
While it is cooking away you will have lots of time to make the Balsamic Honey Sauce.
It is a combination of balsamic vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, honey, worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, garlic and some salt and pepper. Cook it all up until it boils and then simmer to reduce it until it is nice and dark and thick.
Remove your meat from the crockpot and shred it with two forks. Strain the liquid from the onions and combine the meat with the onions. At this point you can put it back in the crockpot and pour the BBQ sauce over it and let it cook for another hour but I preferred to just serve it by putting the shredded pork on the slider bun and then drizzling the sauce over the top.
I love serving it on little slider buns because I think they are cute and I have this thing about miniature food tasting better! You can find slider rolls in the bread section of most grocery stores. But feel free to use a hamburger or hoagie type bun if you’d like. While the Balsamic Honey Pulled Pork is cooking away in the crock pot and you are feeling energetic you can even make your own slider rolls. I’ll share my recipe for slider rolls tomorrow.
For some other yummy pork dishes to make in the crock pot check out these:
- 2 - 3 lb. boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 C onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 C chicken broth
- 1 C balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 C ketchup
- 1/3 C brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Place onion in bottom of crock pot.
- Place meat on top and sprinkle with thyme and rosemary.
- Pour broth over meat.
- Cover and cook on low for 9-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours or until meat shreds easily for a fork.
- Remove meat from crock pot and shred with two forks
- In a sauce pan combine all sauce ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Stir occasionally.
- After sauce is made you can place the shredded meat back in crock pot and stir in sauce and allow to cook for another hour.
- I prefer to just shred the meat and then put it on the slider bun and spoon the sauce over the top.