This Slow Cooker Maple Pulled Pork has the perfect amount of sweetness and makes dinner time a piece of cake!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
You know I love slow cooker recipes. It is one of the easiest ways to prepare a delicious dinner. And pork roasts are one of my favorite things to cook in a crock pot.
This pulled pork is full of delicious maple flavor. Just the right combination of sweet and savory. You can serve it over rice or on a bun for a quick weeknight meal.
- Pork shoulder roast
- Olive oil
- Onion. Use a white or yellow onion
- Apple cider vinegar
- Maple syrup
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika. Can also substitute regular paprika
How To Make Maple Pulled Pork
- Mix together the rub using chili power, smoked paprkia, cumin and salt.
- Rub onto both sides of the roast.
- Brown the roast in a frying pan in some olive oil.
- Place the pork roast, sliced onion, garlic and seasoning into the slow cooker.
- Pour a mixture of maple syrup and apple cider vinegar over the top of the roast.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the pork falls apart.
- Drain off the juices and strain them into a saucepan.
- Add cornstarch to the juices and stir to dissolve.
- Heat until it comes to a low boil and thickens. I like to add in a little more maple syrup to the gravy to sweeten it a little more.
- Pour the gravy over the shredded pork.
Frequently Asked Questions
I like using a pork shoulder roast but have also used a picnic roast. A boneless roast works best for maple pulled pork.
You can! Add all the ingredients into the instant pot just like the slow cooker. Close the lid and cook at High Pressure for 28 minutes + 15 minutes Natural Release. Be sure vent is set to sealing. Shred pork after natural release.
Check out more of my favorite pork recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Maple Pulled Pork
- 3-4 lb pork shoulder roast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion onion sliced thinly
- 2 tsp garlic minced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup optional
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- Combine chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin and salt. Rub into pork on both sides
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown pork on all sides. Place into slow cooker
- Top pork with onion and garlic.
- Mix together 1/2 cup maple syrup and apple cider vinegar. Pour over roast
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours or until fall apart tender.
- Remove meat and shred. Strain cooking liquid and put into a sauce pan.
- Add in cornstarch and stir to combine. Heat over medium heat and stir until it bubbles and thickens. Add in additional 1/4 cup maple syrup if desired for added sweetness. Pour over shredded meat.