My recipe for Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak is easy as it is delicious. You will want to add a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich to your menu rotation.
Let me start out by saying that I know this is not an authentic Philly Cheese Steak. I apologize to all my Philadelphia readers. I have eaten an authentic Philly Cheese Steak in Philadelphia so I know what the real thing is like and it is amazing. But today’s recipe for a slow cooker Philly Cheese Steak, takes the best flavors of a cheese steak sandwich and makes them an easy crock pot dinner recipe.
I used a top round roast to make my cheese steak. Cooking it in the slow cooker and then shredding it makes your meat nice and flavorful and tender.
A Philly Cheese Steak also has onions and peppers on top. I like to sauté mine and then add them to the cooked meat instead of adding the peppers and onion into the slow cooker to keep them from getting to soft. But feel free to add them to the slow cooker if you like them softer. It will add even more flavor to the sandwich.
The meat is served on a bun. Don’t use a hamburger or hot dog bun. Buy yourself a nice hoagie bun. And butter the inside and toast it before adding the meat. This adds some nice flavor and will help keep the hoagie roll from getting soggy.
Once you’ve topped it with your meat, add your onions and peppers and then top it with a slice of provolone cheese. Pop it under the broiler to let the cheese melt.
Then enjoy! Although it may not be as authentic as what you will get in Philadelphia it is pretty yummy and a great substitution for the real thing.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak
- 2 lb. top round roast
- 1 C beef broth
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- l onion sliced
- 1 orange pepper sliced
- 1 yellow pepper sliced
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 6 slices of Provolone Cheese
- 6 hoaggie rolls
- Place roast into slow cooker.
- Pour in beef broth, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce over roast.
- Cook on low until beef is tender and shreddable - about 3-4 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and allow it to sit.
- Shred with two forks.
- In a skillet heat olive oil and saute onions and peppers until soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Butter and toast inside of bun.
- Place beef onto bun, top with peppers and onions and add a slice of cheese.
- Place under broiler and broil until cheese emlted.