My recipe for Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak is easy as it is delicious. You will want to add a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich to your menu rotation.
What is a Philly Cheesesteak?
Let me start out by saying that I know this is not an authentic Philly Cheese Steak. I apologize to all my Philadelphia readers. I have eaten an authentic Philly Cheese Steak in Philadelphia so I know what the real thing is like and it is amazing. But today’s recipe for a slow cooker Philly Cheese Steak, takes the best flavors of a cheese steak sandwich and makes them an easy crock pot dinner recipe.
What Kind Of Meat to Use For a Cheesesteak.
I used a top round roast to make my cheese steak. Cooking it in the slow cooker and then shredding it makes your meat nice and flavorful and tender.
How to Make a Philly Cheesesteak
- Place meat into the slow cooker.
- Combine beef broth, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, minced onion and garlic powder.
- Pour mixtre over meat in slow cooker.
- Cook on low until beef is tender and shreddable, about 4-5 hours.
A Philly Cheese Steak also has onions and peppers on top. I like to sauté mine and then add them to the cooked meat instead of adding the peppers and onion into the slow cooker to keep them from getting too soft. Feel free to add them to the slow cooker if you like them softer. It will add even more flavor to the sandwich.
How to Serve a Philly Cheesesteak
- Serve the sandwich on a hoagie bun, not a hamburger or hot dog bun
- Butter the inside of the bun and toast it before adding the meat. This adds some nice flavor and will help keep the hoagie roll from getting soggy.
- Place meat onto toasted bun.
- Top with sauteed onions and peppers.
- Place a slice of provolone cheese on top of peppers.
- Place sandwich under broiler and let the cheese melt.
Then enjoy! Although it may not be as authentic as what you will get in Philadelphia it is pretty yummy and a great substitution for the real thing.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak Recipe
Slow Cooker Philly Cheese Steak
- 2 lb. top round roast
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 orange pepper sliced
- 1 yellow pepper sliced
- 1-2 tsp olive oil
- 6 slices of Provolone Cheese
- 6 hoagie rolls
- Place roast into slow cooker.
- Combine beef broth, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, minced onion and garlic powder. Pour over roast.
- Cook on low until beef is tender and shreddable – about 3-4 hours.
- Remove beef from slow cooker and allow it to sit.
- Shred with two forks.
- In a skillet heat olive oil and saute onions and peppers until soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Butter and toast inside of bun.
- Place beef onto bun, top with peppers and onions and add a slice of cheese.
- Place under broiler and broil until cheese emlted.