Earlier this week I shared with you that I have a Food Bucket List – a list of food I hope to one day eat. Today’s recipe is for one of the foods I have actually eaten on my Food Bucket list – a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. Years ago we took our boys on an American History trip and as part of it we stopped in Philadelphia and while there I was able to eat an authentic Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich. So good!
I have tried them several places since but none of them measured up to the one I had in Philadelphia! I found much more success when I decided to try and make it at home. Maybe not exactly the same but still delicious!
One of the tricks is to use a decent cut of meat. You want the meat to be tender and since the meat isn’t marinaded a tender cut is important. I used a rib eye steak that I sprinkled with salt, pepper and some granulated garlic before cooking.
I then cooked the steak in a hot cast iron skillet. Brown the steaks on both sides until well browned and reduce heat to medium and cook until desired doneness. I cooked mine until about medium. It will sit for a bit too and continue to cook so be sure and not over cook the meat.
Cover the meat with foil and allow to sit while you cook the peppers and onions.
Saute the onions and peppers in olive oil over medium heat with salt and pepper until soft. About 10 minutes.
Place peppers in bowl. Slice steak into thin slices going against the grain.
One 8 oz. steak feed both of us and provided some leftovers for Jim for lunch the next day.
I buttered the buns and then toasted them.
Divide the meat into four portions. Arrange in a single serving of meat in the cast iron skillet (or could do in a frying pan to or a electric griddle)and then add onions and peppers on top. Then cover with a piece of cheese and allow the cheese to melt. I placed my cast iron skillet in the oven under the broiler to get the cheese to melt quicker.
After cheese has melted use a spatula to place meat, peppers,onions and cheese on a toasted bun and enjoy a little taste of Philadelphia at home!
This made for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner and brought back lots of great memories of our fun trip.
What are some of your bucket list foods?? Which have you eaten and which are still on the list?
For other delicious sandwich ideas check out these:
For a list of where I Link Up each week go here.
- 1 8 0 z. rib eye steak
- salt pepper, granulated garlic to season
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 red pepper sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper sliced
- olive oil
- sandwich rolls
- butter for toasting rolls
- 2-3 slices provolone cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in cast iron skillet under high heat.
- Season both sides of steak with salt, pepper and granulated garlic.
- Turn heat down to medium and cook steak on both sides until well browned and cooked to desired doneness (I did medium) Allow to rest
- Cook sliced onion and peppers in 1 Tbsp olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes. Remove to bowl.
- Butter and toast sandwich rolls in frying pan.
- Slice meat into thin slices going against the grain.
- Divide meat into serving size portion and place in a pile in cast iron skillet. Add peppers and onions on top and then a piece of cheese.
- Allow to cheese to melt
- Use a spatula to place meat/peppers onto a toasted bun.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!