Last week while I was in Utah I was invited to spend the afternoon baking with Lizzy from Your Cup of Cake. I actually just visited and took pictures and she baked.
But while I was visiting and taking pictures I did ask her for some cupcake baking tips. She had some good ones.
Lizzy is a college student at BYU in Provo. Her baking inspiration comes from her grandmother who, stuck in the middle of no where, sleeping in a tent, could make a delicious cherry cobbler over the fire.
Lizzy follows the directions. She always sifts her dry ingredients together to avoid clumps and to make the dry ingredients light and easy to mix.
Lizzy also beats her butter and sugar together for at least 5 minutes until it is light and fluffy and has changed color.
She mixes her oil and egg together before adding it to the batter. Lizzy says these are the two ingredients that want to mix together the least and by combining them before hand you will get a better “crumb” to your cupcake.
To make sure her cupcakes are all the same size Lizzy uses an ice cream scoop to fill her cupcake liners.
The day I was there she was experimenting with a new Nutella Cupcake recipe. She and Cali mixed a spoonful of Nutella right into the batter before baking.
Notice her cute glass jars filled with sprinkles, chocolate chips and cupcake liners? I went right home and filled one of my glass containers with cupcake liners too – so cute.
Next tip, Lizzy removes her cupcakes from the baking pan right away. She does not allow them to cool in the pan.
Right after removing them she places them into some type of plastic container with a lid.
When her friends ask her for baking tips Lizzy always tells them to at least purchase a piping bag and some basic tips for frosting your cupcakes. She says, “Everyone, thinks its so hard, but it honestly is easier than using a knife to frost cupcakes and it takes less than half the time. Plus, everyone will think you’re a professional.”
See how pretty her photos turned out here.
Thanks Lizzy for sharing your tips and of course the yummy Nutella Cupcakes! Be sure and check all the other yummy recipes Lizzy has over at your Your Cup of Cake!
- Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ C oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- ½ C water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C sour cream
- 24 tsp Nutella
- 1 per cupcake
- ¾ C Nutella
- 1/4 C butter softened
- 1 1/2 -2 ½ C powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffins tins
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, oil, milk, water and vanilla
- Sift in cake mix and stir in sour cream
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and then place a teaspoon of Nutella on top of each one
- Using a toothpick, swirl the Nutella into the batter
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until the sides spring back (The tops will stay gooey because of the Nutella.)
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place directly into airtight containers so seal in moisture
- Beat the Nutella and butter for 5 minutes
- Add vanilla, then alternate between adding powdered sugar and heavy whipping cream
- Taste the buttercream until you reach your desired sweetness
- You may need to refrigerate the buttercream before piping it onto cooled cup
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!