This lemon sheet cake for two is moist and lemony topped with even more lemon goodness. It’s the perfect amount of sheet cake for 2-4 people.
Small Batch Lemon Sheet Cake
A normal size sheet cake is definitely something you don’t make to feed just a couple of people. A traditional Texas sized sheet cake is HUGE! And if you want a full size version of this cake you can find it here. But around here, this reduced size version is just perfect.
We love a good sheet cake for two. This Chocolate Sheet Cake for Two was a huge hit and the non chocolate lovers went crazy for this Almond Texas Sheet Cake for Two. Now, with a lemon version we should have all the flavor palates covered.
Tips for Making Small Batch Lemon Cake
- If you don’t have a 9x 7 sheet pan you can use a loaf pan and the cake will be a bit thicker and will need to cook a bit longer. You can also use an 8 x 8 pan.
- You will have half a lemon leftover after juicing and zesting. Use it to garnish the cake.
- Don’t worry if your batter is lumpy. It will be o.k.!
- Add the garnish to the cake right before serving as the fruit will “weep” on the cake if put on too far ahead of time.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, use regular milk. Add the lemon juice called for in the cake into the milk and let it sit for a minute.
- Frost the cake while it is slightly warm but not hot.
How to Make Lemon Sheet Cake for Two
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray pan with cooking spray.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Add in dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 18 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan is lightly golden brown on the edges.
- Allow cake to cool almost completely.
- The glaze consistency is between a frosting and glaze for drizzling.
- Add lemon juice to powdered sugar.
- Pour in just enough milk to make the right spreading consistency. If your lemon is bigger you may not need to use any milk.
For more small batch recipes try these:
- Small Batch Lemon Bars
- Lemon Angel Pie for Two
- Strawberry Cream Pie for Two
- Brownies for Two
- Giant Single Serve Cookies
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Lemon Sheet Cake for Two
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest zest of one lemon
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 Tbsp buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1/2 cups all purpose flour plus 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp milk more if necessary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together butter, sugar and zest of one lemon until creamy and combined.
- Add in egg, sour cream, buttermilk, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Stir to combine, Batter may be lumpy and that is o.k.
- Add in flour, baking soda and salt and stir just to combine. Remember lumpy is o.k. – don't overmix.
- Grease 9 x 7 sheet pan.
- Pour in batter and bake for 18 minutes, until edges begin to pull away from pan and turn light golden brown. Allow cake to cool.
- Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar and just enough milk to make a nice spreading consistency.
- Frost cake when cool