This individual Lemon Angel Pie for Two is the perfect amount for two people. A soft meringue crust filled with lemon curd infused whipped cream is perfection.
This recipe has been a family favorite at our house for over forty years and now that we are a reduced size family I needed to come up with a small batch version so my husband and I could still enjoy it and not be tempted to eat an entire pie! The recipe makes two 5 inch size pies and it is just the perfect amount for two!
What is Lemon Angel Pie?
Lemon Angel Pie starts with a meringue crust that starts out crunchy but softens up as the pie refrigerates over night, This meringue crust literally melts in your mouth. The crust is filled with a lemon curd infused whipped cream and then the pie is topped with a final layer of whipped cream.
Lemon Angel Pie is best prepped 12-24 hours before serving so that it has time to refrigerate, chill through and soften up.
How to Separate Eggs
- Cold eggs are much easier to separate than warm eggs.
- Use three bowls. One for the yolks, and the other two for the whites. After separating the first egg, put the yolk in one bowl and the white in another bowl. Separate your next egg white into the empty bowl before adding it into the bowl with the other egg white you have already separated. Do this in case you accidentally get some egg yolk into the egg white while separating it. You don’t want to contaminate all the other egg whites I have already separated.
- I have a magical tip for how to easily separate egg whites on my You Tube video where I make this Lemon Angel Pie.
How to Make Lemon Angel Pie
There are three delicious components to this recipe. The meringue crust, the lemon curd filling, and the whipped cream topping.
- Separate your eggs. Save the yolks to use in the lemon curd.
- Whip egg whites in a chilled bowl until light and foamy.
- Add in sugar gradually and cream of tartar.
- Beat until it forms a peak. Your weather will effect your meringue. If it is a damp or rainy day they may not whip up as well. If they don’t, do not worry, this recipe will still work. I have had days where they whip up perfectly and days where it looks like soup and it still works. The day I shot the photos for this recipe they didn’t whip up as much as I like but it still worked perfectly. You can see a photo of how they look when they whip up perfectly in this post.
- Butter your pie tins. I use these 5 inch individual pie tins.
- Fill tin with meringue covering bottom and pushing meringue up onto the sides.
- If your meringue is a little soupy, it won’t push up on the sides of the pan, but trust me, it will still work!
- Bake meringue crust in a 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes. The meringue crust will puff up as it cooks and look dry on top, don’t let it turn too brown. After you remove it from the oven it will begin to crack and fall. That is what you want. Allow to cool.
Lemon Curd Ingredients:
- Fresh Lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Egg yolks
- Combine your sugar, salt, egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon rind in a microwave safe bowl. You want to use FRESH lemon juice, not the stuff in the bottle from the store. Make sure your bowl is big enough as the mixture will expand as it cooks.
- If you don’t have a microwave, you can follow the directions for making lemon curd on the stove top here.
- Cook in the microwave for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. The mixture will thicken up as it cooks. Allow to cool but not totally set up.
For tips on whipping cream check out this post.
- Whip one cup of whipping cream.
- Fold HALF of the whipped cream into the lemon curd mixture.
- Spread into the two meringue crusts.
- Top the pies with remaining whipped cream and refrigerate over night or for 4-6 hour. This allows the meringue crust to soften up.
- Garnish pies before serving with slices of lemon or a fresh strawberry.
The pie is so light and wonderful it literally melts in your mouth. It is the perfect ending to any meal, especially Easter dinner when you just need something light and lovely. But don’t wait until Easter to make it!
If you need a full size Lemon Angel Pile check out this recipe.
For other delicious dessert recipes try these:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Lemon Angel Pie for Two
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites save yolks for lemon curd
- 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Beat egg whites until white and fluffy
- Gradually add in sugar and cream of tartar
- Beat until stiff, it's ok if they don't stiffen up.
- Pour into two buttered 5 inch pie tins.
- Bake in a 300 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt.
- Cook in microwave for 2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir.
- Allow to cool but not set up completely.
- Whip cream until medium stiff peaks.
- Add half of whipped cream into lemon curd. Fold to combine.
- Put mixture into meringue crust.
- Top with remaining whipped cream.
- Chill for 24 hours or overnight. Garnish with lemon slices or a strawberry
Leave a Review