This lemon curd tastes just like sunshine. You will never buy store bought lemon curd again after you taste this.
We’ve been having some rather gloomy, cloudy, foggy days here in Portland. There has been a lack of sunshine and I was physically and mentally craving some sun. Since I have yet to figure out a way to change the weather, I decided to make some sunshine in my kitchen. The very sight of a lemons makes me happy and the smell and taste are even better!
Homemade Is Always Better
You can easily purchase a jar of lemon curd at the grocery store, but let me tell you, there is nothing that compares to the homemade version. It is easy to make too and is literally sunshine on a spoon as far as I am concerned.
There are so many possibilities for homemade curd. I love it spread on toast or pancakes. And a dollop on a bowl of vanilla ice cream is quite lovely. Everything tastes better with a spoonful of it.
What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a combination of lemon juice, lemon zest, butter, sugar and eggs.
Tips for Homemade Curd
Always use real lemon juice and zest. Do not use that lemon juice that comes in the green container at the grocery store. If you are going to do that, just buy a jar of lemon curd at the store.
When working with lemons, there are a few tools that I find really helpful. I love my lemon juicer. It makes juicing lemons so easy and fast.
You will use the zest of the lemon too, so you will need a microplaner.
With these two tools you are ready to go.
How To Make Homemade Curd
- Place the eggs yolks, sugar and lemon juice in a double boiler over simmering water and stirring until it begins to thicken. If you don’t have a double boiler just use a regular sauce pan but be sure and stir in continually so it doesn’t burn.
- Stir over heat for 7-10 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Add in butter and stir until it is melted.
- Add in the lemon zest.
- Cover it and let it chill in the refrigerator. It will continue to thicken as it chills.
Then all you really need is a spoon!
Be sure and follow me on YouTube for lots of recipe videos!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Check our more of my favorite desserts that use lemon curd:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Mix together eggs, sugar and lemon juice and place in a double boiler over simmering water or a sauce pan. Stir until it thickens. About 7-10 minutes. Stir constantly
- Fold in butter and lemon zest.
- Cover and refrigerator until it thickens.