Lemon Curd Bars are a fun and delicious twist on the traditional lemon bar. A shortbread base topped with a layer of lemon curd and a topping of almonds, coconut and white chocolate.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
These Lemon Curd Bars are a fun twist on the traditional lemon bar. The lemon curd bars are topped with a combination of toasted almonds, coconut and white chocolate chips which not only gives it great flavor but texture too. And a great flavor contrast to the tart lemon curd.
What is Lemon Curd?
Lemon curd is a jam like spread that is made with sugar, lemons, eggs and butter. This recipe uses a store bought lemon curd but if you have made my lemon curd recipe you should totally use it instead. I always keep a jar or two of lemon curd in my pantry. I pretty much love lemon curd on anything and everything. It’s even great on toast!
How to Make Lemon Curd Bars
- Begin with a mixture of butter, sugar, flour and baking powder. Mix in a stand mixer just until it is crumbly.
- Line a 9 x 13 with parchment paper or foil. Grease the foil. You don’t need to grease the parchment paper. I use a glass 9 x 13 pan which I think bakes better and more evenly than metal.
- Set aside 1 cup of your crumb mixture for later and press the rest into the 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake crust at 375 degrees for about 10-12 minutes. Then spread that jar of lemon curd on top (it is about 10-12 oz. of lemon curd if you are making your own) Be gentle doing it so you don’t lift up the crust layer.
- Combine remaining crumb mixture with slivered almonds, coconut and white chocolate chips. Sprinkle over the top of the lemon curd.
- Bake the lemon curd bars for about another 15-18 minutes until golden brown.
- Let it cool and then lifting up on the paper or foil remove it from the pan.
- Slice it up into pretty little lemon curd bars.
Lemon bars are wonderful with a nice cup of tea or just by themselves. They also make the perfect addition to an Easter brunch. Happy Spring!
Some of my other favorite brunch recipes include:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Lemon Curd Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 10 oz. jar lemon curd
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- ½ cup slivered or sliced almonds
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 13x9x2 inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving about 1 inch of paper or foil extending over the ends of pan. Grease foil, set pan aside. You don't need to grease parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat butter with mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add flour and baking powder; beat until just combined and mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture.set aside. Press the remaining crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until top is golden. Remove from oven. Spread lemon curd over hot crust to within ½ inch of the edges of the pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together reserved crumb mixture, coconut, white chocolate chips and almonds. Sprinkle crumb mixture over lemon curd.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes more or until edges are golden and topping is brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Remove bars from pan using the foil to lift bars. Place on cutting board, cut into bars. Store, covered, in the refrigerator.