Lemon Angel Pie with meringue crust is a little taste of heaven that has been our family favorite for almost 40 years. A lovely, light lemon filling on a meringue crust that is perfect for Easter or any time.
I also have a small batch version of this recipe, the perfect amount for two people. Find it here.
Lemon is my all time favorite flavor. I probably have more lemon desserts than chocolate here on the blog. If you are more of a chocolate fan, be sure and check out my chocolate angel pie recipe! Another delicious meringue dessert is this Pavlova recipe which I love to top with lemon curd, whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Lemon Angel Pie is an all time favorite at our house, hands down my favorite dessert ever!! The combination of light lemon filling and meringue crust is unbeatable. And it has definitely stood the test of time, we have been enjoying this recipe for almost 40 years!
I first had Lemon Angel Pie when my oldest boy was only 4 years old and he now has a little boy of his own! I was at a Preschool Board Meeting and the woman hosting the meeting served this as dessert, as soon as I took my first bite I knew I had to have the recipe.
There is just something about Easter that says lemon to me! It just wouldn’t be Easter without our favorite lemon dessert!
Gluten Free Dessert Recipe
The great thing about this recipe is you can make it the day ahead, in fact you need to make it the day ahead thus making it a perfect dessert for Easter dinner! It is also is naturally gluten free since there is no flour in it and it is perfect for any gluten free family or friends. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
How to Make Meringue Crust
- Use a clean and chilled bowl.
- Be sure there is no egg yolk in your egg whites. Use room temperature egg whites.
- Beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add in sugar and cream of tartar.
- Beat until glossy and holds a peak. Put into a buttered or greased 9 inch pie plate. I have made this pie many times when the egg whites didn’t get stiff and it looks more like thick white soup. That’s o.k.! Just pour it into the pan and it will be fine, I promise.
- Spread meringue along the bottom and the sides of the pie dish.
- Bake at 300 degrees F. for 45-60 minutes or until crust is dry looking. The crust will puff up as it cooks. As soon as you remove it from the oven it will begin to crack and fall. That is what it is suppose to do, making the perfect space for all the lovely lemon filling.
- Allow crust to cool while you make the filling.
How To Make Lemon Angel Pie
While the meringue crust is baking, you can make the filling.
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and salt into a microwave safe container and mix. Make sure the container is big enough as the mixture will expand as it cooks.
- Cook the mixture until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds) and allow to cool. You can also cook the mixture on the stove top. Stir constantly until thickened.
- Allow lemon curd to cool and come to room temperature. Place in the refrigerator to speed cooling if desired.
- Whip 2 cups of whipped cream.
- Combine HALF of the whipped cream with the cooled lemon mixture and fold to combine.
- Fill meringue crust with lemon curd and whipped cream mixture.
- Top pie with remaining whipped cream. No need to sweeten the whipped cream as the pie is very sweet.
- Refrigerate pie overnight, the meringue crust will soften making it easier to cut.
The pie is so light and wonderful it literally melts in your mouth. It is the perfect ending to any meal, especially Easter dinner when you just need something light and lovely.
If you are as much of a lemon fan as I am, be sure and check out some of my other favorite lemon desserts:
- Delicious Lemon Curd Ice Cream Pie,
- Moist Lemon Blueberry Marble Cake,
- Lovely Lemon Butter Cream Cake.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Lemon Angel Pie Recipe
Lemon Angel Pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs separated, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups whipping cream.
- Beat egg whites until white and fluffy.
- Add in sugar gradually and cream of tartar.
- Beat until stiff but not dry (it’s o.k if this doesn’t happen)
- Pour into a buttered 9″ deep dish glass pie dish and press up against the sides
- Bake meringue crust at 300 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- Take 4 egg yolks and beat slightly.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice and 1 Tbsp. grated lemon rind, 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Cook until thickened in microwave for 4 minutes (stir every 30 seconds) Cool.
- Whip 2 cups whipping cream and fold 1/2 of whip cream into lemon mixture.
- Pour into cooled meringue shell. Top with the remaining whip cream. Chill for 24 hours.
Originally posted in March 2013
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!