Raspberry Cream Meringue Pie is light and sweet. A pretty and delicious treat for your Valentine dessert.
One of my favorite desserts, EVER, is this lovely lemon angel pie. We have been making it at our house for almost 30 years and it is still my favorite lemon dessert. One of my favorite parts of it is the meringue crust the filling is put into. I am a big meringue fan. Remember those meringue heart shaped cookies I shared a few weeks ago? Another favorite.
When I came across this recipe for a raspberry cream meringue pie I knew I had to try it! No questions asked. I am a sucker for anything involving meringue and whipped cream. We were having a gathering at our home this past week to welcome new members of our church congregation so I decided to try it out on them. I also knew that I was going to love it and I would be tempted to eat the entire thing myself if I didn’t share it. Let’s just say there wasn’t any left.
This meringue crust has a fun texture to it. The addition of crushed soda crackers and pecans folded into the meringue gives it a nice twist. If you have a nut allergy or want to make this dessert gluten free you can leave out the crackers and/or the nuts. The crust will work fine without them.
Just spread the meringue mixture into a 9 inch pie plate, pushing it up the sides and along the bottom.
The filling for the pie is a combo of whipping cream, sugar, vanilla and of course raspberries! All of that gets folded together and then poured into the cool meringue crust.
Let it refrigerate for several hours to set up and then slice yourself a nice big piece. It is so light you won’t feel like there are any calories! I garnished mine with a little more whip cream and some more raspberries.
Printable Recipe for Raspberry Cream Meringue Pie
Raspberry Cream Meringue Pie
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 16 saltine crackers crushed
- 1/2 C pecans finely chopped
- 1 C whipping cream
- 1/3 C granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 C fresh or frozen raspberries
- Grease and flour a 9 inch deep dish pie plate.
- In a large bowl beat together egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Mix in vanilla
- Gradually beat in 1 cup of sugar until it forms a stiff peak.
- Fold in crackers and pecans.
- Place mixture into the prepared pie plate. Pressing mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the dish.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until meringue begins to turn golden. Cool.
- For filling add whipping cream, sugar and vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form.
- Fold in berries.
- Fill crust with mixture.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe from Midwest Living