Green Chili Chicken Casserole is fun twist on the classic enchilada casserole using yummy green enchilada sauce. This is an easy to prepare ahead casserole one pan dinner that the whole family is going to love.
There is something about a good casserole that takes me right back to my childhood. It might be all those church potluck dinners we went to where there was always a wide array of casseroles to choose from!
One of the beauties of a good casserole is the whole meal is in one pan. This green chili chicken casserole has layers of corn tortillas, chicken cheese and enchilada sauce. I added in some black olives because they are my favorite and topped it with green onions for a little color. Sometimes casseroles are not the prettiest I must admit!
A casserole feeds a crowd! Made in a 9 x 13 pan there is usually enough to feed the family and a few leftovers for the next day. The best part about a casserole? How easy it is to make it ahead, stick it in the refrigerator or freezer and bake when you are ready to eat!
The love the flavor the sweeter green chili enchilada sauce gives this dish but if you prefer you can always use regular red enchilada sauce too. I used Monterey Jack Cheese but cheddar or a Mexican blend works well too. Serve it with a green salad and or some fresh fruit and you’ve got a complete meal the whole family is going to love.
Some of my other favorite casseroles include:
My favorite kitchen tools I use to make GREEN CHILI CHICKEN CASSEROLE:
6 PIECE MEASURING CUP SET – Everyone needs at least one set of measuring cups, I have 4 sets!
MAGNETIC MEASURING SPOONS – I love these things. They are magnetic so they stay together in the drawer!
9 x 13 GLASS PAN – I actually own three of these and they seem to be in constant use.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Green Chili Chicken Casserole Recipe
Green Chili Chicken Casserole
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
- 1 20 oz. green enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 oz. green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 oz. sliced black olives
- 5 green onions, diced reserve some for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together chicken, green enchilada sauce, sour cream, cumin and green chilies
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and add half of chicken mixture. Place a layer of tortillas over the top and sprinkle with half the cheese, black olives and green onions. (save a few green onions for garnish)
- Repeat process.
- Bake for 40 minutes covered, remove cover and bake for another 10 minutes to allow cheese to bubble and brown. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.