Enchilada Casserole makes dinner planning so easy. All the taste and flavor of regular enchiladas with less work!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
It’s easy! Enchilada Casserole is the perfect meal for a busy night. You can put it together quickly and easily the night before or first thing in the morning and then just keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake it.
It’s deicious! You get all the same taste and flavor of your favorite beef enchiladas, but because it is layered in a casserole dish it is easier and quicker to put together!
- Ground beef. I prefer a 80/20 blend.
- Onion. Use a white or yellow onion
- Chili powder
- Enchilada sauce. You can make homemade enchilada sauce with this recipe.
- Stewed tomatoes. I used the petit diced tomatoes
- Black olives
- Corn tortillas. If you prefer you can also use flour tortillas.
- Cheddar cheese. You can also use a combination of cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese.
How to Make Enchilada Casserole
- Cook your hamburger, onion and garlic until hamburger is cooked through.
- Add in tomatoes, olives and enchilada sauce.
- Allow the meat mixture to simmer for 30 minutes until it thickens up.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick pray
- Layer bottom of the baking dish with 6 tortillas. They will overlap.
- Cover tortillas with half of your meat mixture, half your green onions, black olives and cheese.
- Repeat the process.
- Bake the casserole in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use ground chicken or turkey or you could add in shredded cooked chicken to make it a chicken enchilada casserole. You could use chicken breasts or chicken thighs.
Refrigerate: Cover with foil or plastic wrap and it will keep for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
Freeze: I recommend cutting any leftover casserole into individual servings. Place in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. It will last in the freezer for up to three months. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator before reheating and serving.
Cover the casserole with foil and place in at 350°F for about 30 minutes or until heated through
You can also reheat it in the microwave.
Try more delicious enchilada recipes!
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 14 oz cans of enchilada sauce
- 2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes I used the petit diced tomatoes
- 1 3.8 oz can sliced olives
- 2 dozen corn tortillas
- 1 lbs grated cheddar cheese
- Fry meat, onion and garlic
- Drain off fat
- Season with salt and pepper
- Add everything but the olives, cheese and tortillas
- Cook for 20 minutes and add olives
- Put in a 9 x 3 baking dish in layers
- First layer half the tortillas, cover with sauce, layer of cheese
- Repeat ending with cheese on top
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes