Chicken Enchilada Soup is a quick and easy way to get a delicious dinner on the table with things you have on your pantry shelf.
For a few other delicious soup recipes check out French Onion Soup with Slow Cooker Caramelized Onions, Tarragon Chicken Soup and Steak Soup
We’ve been having some crazy weather here in Portland. Lots of rain and wind. Just yesterday we had a fence blow down and a tree blow over! It’s perfect soup weather. Thanks to a well stocked pantry I was able to put together this chicken enchilada soup in a matter of minutes!
Pantry Friendly Soup
I have a list of certain canned foods I like to keep on hand at all times because I know that there will always be something I can make for dinner.
In addition to cans of enchilada sauce, I always have cans of diced tomatoes, green chilies, corn and chicken broth on hand. So I had everything I needed for this delicious chicken enchilada soup. Thanks to my pantry items and some chicken in the freezer, we had a delicious dinner.
For more information on what I like to keep stocked in pantry check out this post.
What is Masa Harina?
This soup tastes just like an enchilada! The recipe calls for masa harina to thicken the soup. Masa is a flour made from corn that is used in a lot of Mexican cooking and to make tortillas. It is easy to find in the ethnic section of your local grocery store. The masa gives the soup a nice texture and authentic flavor.
How to Make Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add in chicken broth.
- Mix 1/2 cup masa harina into up of water. Mix until blended and smooth.
- Pour into chicken broth mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in remaining water along with enchilada sauce, green chilies, tomatoes and corn.
- Sprinkle in seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Add in shredded chicken and allow to simmer 30-40 minutes.
How To Make Shredded Chicken
Here are my three favorite methods for cooking shredded chicken to use in this soup.
What to Put On Top of Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Sour Cream
- Grated Cheese
- Green Onions
- Tortilla Chips
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
Just add all the ingredients except for the chicken into the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours. Add the cooked shredded chicken 30 minutes before serving to allow it to heat through.
Be sure and follow me on You Tube for lots of recipe videos!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 cups chicken shredded
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 2 cups water divided
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 4.5 oz. can mild green chilies
- 1 12 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Cook onion and garlic in oil until onions are translucent.
- Add in chicken broth.
- In a bowl combine 1 cup water with 1/2 C masa harina. Mix until well blended and smooth.
- Add into chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add in remaining 1 C water, enchilada sauce, green chilies, corn and tomatoes into chicken broth mixture.
- Add in salt, chili powder and cumin.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken and reduce heat and allow to simmer for 30-40 minutes, until thickened.
- If it thickens too much add some additional water or chicken broth.