Sweet Potato Casserole is always a welcome guest at the holiday table. People aren’t quite sure if it’s a vegetable or dessert!
Today’s recipe is one that was shared with me about 25 years ago by Jim’s Aunt Dawn. When the boys were little we spent Thanksgiving with them one year and she served this delicious sweet potato dish. I love family recipes. Not only are they usually some of the best recipes but I love using them and thinking about the family member who shared it with me.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Easy
Not only is this recipe delicious but it is a great make ahead dish which helps cut down on the work and stress of the actual day. Make it a day or two ahead of time and just keep it in your refrigerator. Then warm it in the oven and you will have a perfectly delicious sweet potato casserole.
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
- This sweet potato casserole recipe uses canned sweet potatoes. Drain the canned sweet potatoes.
- Mash them to desired consistency. Leave them lumpy if you like lumpy or if you prefer smooth mash them up more. smooth!
- Add in cinnamon, orange juice and brown sugar for a nice sweet sweet potato!
- Fill a 1 1/2 to 2 qt. dish arrange a pretty layer of pecans on the top.
- Add more brown sugar and butter on top – yum!
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes or until heated through.
The butter and sugar form a nice sweet, crunchy topping.
Even if you think you don’t like sweet potatoes give this recipe a try. What’s not to like about butter, brown sugar and pecans!?!?!
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- 44.5 oz canned sweet potatoes 1 large can (29 oz) and 1 small can (15.5 oz), already peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup orange juice I used reconsituted
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- Drain and mash canned sweet potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Into mashed sweet potatoes beat in eggs, brown sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon.
- Add orange juice until mixture is moist and fluffy.
- Put in 1 1/2 – 2 qt. baking dish.
- If making ahead you can refrigerate at this point.
- Before baking arrange pecan halves on top, sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle butter over top. Bake uncovered in 375 oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.