Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole is always a welcome guest at the holiday table. People aren’t quite sure if it’s a vegetable or dessert!
We’ll be spending the holiday with the four kids and about 40 of Jim’s family in Utah. We volunteered to host dinner. Fortunately my lovely niece is letting me use her house and kitchen! I also have some amazing sister in laws and my mother in law who have volunteered to help!
Today’s recipe is one that was shared with me about 25 years ago by Jim’s Aunt Dawn. When the boys were little we spent Thanksgiving with them one year and she served this delicious sweet potato casserole. I love family recipes. Not only are they usually some of the best recipes but I love using them and thinking about the family member who shared it with me. Several of my favorite recipes have come from Aunt Dawn. And although we don’t see her often, I think of her each time I make one of her recipes.
Not only is this recipe delicious but it is a great make ahead dish which helps cut down on the work and stress of the actual day. Make it a day or two ahead of time and just keep it in your refrigerator. Then warm it in the oven and you will have a perfectly delicious sweet potato casserole.
This sweet potato casserole recipe uses canned sweet potatoes. After you drain them, you can mash them to your desired consistency. Leave them lumpy if you like lumpy and smooth if you like smooth! The addition of cinnamon, orange juice and brown sugar make for a nice sweet sweet potato!
After filling your 1 1/2 to 2 qt. dish arrange a pretty layer of pecans on the top.
And then some more brown sugar and butter on top – yum!
Then bake away. The butter and sugar form a nice sweet, crunchy topping.
Even if you think you don’t like sweet potatoes give this recipe a try. What’s not to like about butter, brown sugar and pecans!?!?!
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Pecan Topped Sweet Potato Casserole
- 44.5 oz canned sweet potatoes 1 large can (29 oz) and 1 small can (15.5 oz), already peeled
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C butter melted
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 C orange juice I used reconsituted
- 1 C pecan halves
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C melted butter
- Drain and mash canned sweet potatoes to your desired consistency.
- Into mashed sweet potatoes beat in eggs, brown sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon.
- Add orange juice until mixture is moist and fluffy.
- Put in 1 1/2 - 2 qt. baking dish.
- If making ahead you can refrigerate at this point.
- Before baking arrange pecan halves on top, sprinkle with brown sugar and drizzle butter over top. Bake uncovered in 375 oven for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.