Add Caramelized Brussel Sprouts with Toasted Pecans to your holiday menu. You’ll be glad you did.
Sometimes I just want to ask, “Brussels Sprouts, where have you been all my life?” I am a late bloomer as far as brussels sprouts are concerned and can honestly say I first tasted them a few years ago. I’ve had fun experimenting and cooking with them ever since. This caramelized brussles sprouts recipe is the result of that experimenting.
They are going to be the newest addition to our Thanksgiving menu this year replacing the traditional green beans. We’ll see what the kids say although it was one of my children (the one that never ate anything green as a child) who suggested we have brussels sprouts for Thanksgiving this year!
How to Make Caramelized Brussel Sprouts
Start by caramelizing the onions in butter.
While the onions are caramelizing, steam the brussels sprouts until they are fork tender, but still a little crisp.
After the onions are nice and browned, add in the brussels srpouts, red wine vinegar, garlic and sugar. Cook until the brussels sprouts began to caramelize.
Add in some toasted pecans and you have a delicous side dish!
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts Recipe
Caramelized Brussel Sprouts
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts cut in half
- 1/3 C butter
- 1 sweet onion cut into thin rings
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 C red wine vinega
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C toasted pecans chopped
- Cut brussels sprouts in half and place in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and let steam for about 5 minutes or until they are tender but still crisp.
- Put sliced onions in a large skillet and coat with olive oil spray.
- Cook until they are brown.
- Add in brussels sprouts, garlic, vinegar and sugar and stir allowing to carmelize.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with toasted pecans.
If you’ve tried this or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to see more delicious food, party ideas and travel tips and what I’m up to on a daily basis!
Leave a Review