Taco Casserole recipe has been a classic at our home since I was a child. You can make it ahead of time and bake it later for the perfect weeknight meal.
I grew up in the era of casseroles. Most of those casseroles usually involved some kind of condensed soup, tuna or tater tots! Casseroles were a staple at our home and a staple at every church potluck.
I promise there is no soup, tuna or tater tots in this taco casserole though!
This is a recipe that has been in my family for over 50 years. It was given to my mother by one of her best friends, Vera Jean Jones and we’ve been making it ever since.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
It’s quick and easy. You can assemble it in under 30 minutes!
Comfort food. This dish always reminds me of my childhood! All your favorite taco flavors in one place.
It’s a great make ahead meal. Make it the night before or the morning of and just keep it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. You can also make it ahead and freeze it!
- Hamburger. You could also use ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey
- Garlic Powder
- Diced Tomatoes. Canned or fresh
- Chili with No beans. If you like beans, feel free to use chili with beans.
- Green onions.
- Black Olives
- Cheese. I use Cheddar cheese, Colby Jack, Monterey Jack Cheese or a Cheddar Mexican Blend.
- Tortillas. I always use corn tortillas. but if you prefer, you can use flour tortillas.
How to Make Taco Casserole
- Brown hamburger in a large skillet over medium-high and then add in the tomatoes and chili.
- Simmer beef mixture for about an hour on low. This allows it to thicken up and the flavors to meld together.
- Stir in green onions.
- Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Place a layer of corn tortillas on the bottom.
- Add half the meat mixture, half the black olives and half the cheese.
- Repeat the same combination. Another layer of tortillas, meat, olives and cheese.
- Bake in a 350 degree F preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until heated through and bubbly.
- Garnish it with a bit more green onion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I freeze taco casserole?
Taco casserole makes a great freezer meal. After putting the casserole together cover so that it is airtight with plastic wrap and a layer or two of foil or an airtight container and then freeze for up to 3 months.
Before serving, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as instructed. You can also bake it frozen but it will take about an hour longer.
Check out more easy dinner recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 12 oz. can chili with no beans
- 4 green onions diced Reserve some for garnish
- 2.25 oz. can sliced olives
- 3 cups grated Cheddar Cheese or a Cheddar blend
- 10 corn tortillas
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown meat and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add in tomatoes and chili.
- Simmer on low for an hour until thickened.
- Stir in green onions. Leave some for garnish
- Line 9 x 13 pan with tortillas.
- Layer with half of meat mixture, half of cheese and half of olives.
- Then add another layer of tortillas and repeat.
- Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.
Tips & Notes:
- A scoop of sour cream
- Chopped lettuce
- Tortilla Chips
- Black olives
- Green onions