Oregano Chicken only takes a few minutes of prep and 30 minutes of oven time and you have a delicious, tender and flavorful meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Oregano Chicken is a 30 minute meal! This recipe comes together very quickly and the cooking time is only thirty minutes so you can get dinner on the table quickly!
For years I was strictly a white meat kind of girl. I always chose the breast over the thigh. Fortunately my husband enjoyed the dark meat so it balanced out quite nicely.
Well, a few years ago I discovered how moist and lovely dark meat can be and started using chicken thighs in my cooking. Not only are they flavorful and tender but they are also a lot less expensive!
- Chicken. I used chicken thighs with the skin and the bone.
- Seasoning. A combination of dried oregano, garlic powder and minced onion.
- Olive oil. Can also use canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Lemon. You will use both the zest and the juice. Always zest the lemon before zesting.
What can I use instead of chicken thighs?
You can also use chicken breasts with the bone and the skin on for Oregano Chicken. The skin has extra fat in it and forms a nice lovely crispy coating that is so delicious! The cooking time will be longer for a chicken breast though so be sure and use a thermometer to check.
How to Make Oregano Chicken
- Trim off any excess skin from the chicken thigh. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place on a baking sheet.
- Mix together spice blend and rub the spices into both sides of the chicken thigh. The main seasoning in this recipe is oregano but you could substitute that out for another favorite seasoning such as rosemary, basil, thyme or whatever your favorite is.
- Place the chicken skin side down onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the skinless side of the chicken thigh half of a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. So much good flavor here!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Half way through the baking time turn the pieces over and drizzle/brush with the remaining olive oil mixture. Bake until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F) and the skin is golden brown and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use your favorite herbs or combination of herbs and seasoning. To keep it simple you could just use Italian Seasoning with some salt and pepper.
The recommended temperature for chicken is 165 degrees F. I let mine cook to about 155-160 and then let it rest for a few minutes to bring it up to temperature. Always use a meat thermometer to check, do not cut into the meat to see if it is done as that releases all the juices and dries the meat out.
You can replace the dried oregano with twice as much fresh oregano.
Pair Oregano Chicken with
If you like Oregano Chicken try these delicious chicken dishes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
- 6 chicken thighs with the skin and bones
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- zest of one lemon!
- Rinse your chicken and then pat dry.
- Mix together seasonings.
- Rub the seasonings over the chicken pieces and place top side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Mix together your oil, lemon juice and zest.
- Drizzle half the mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Half way through turn the chicken pieces over and drizzle with the remaining lemon juice mixture.
- After meat is cooked place the pan under your broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the skin if needed. Watch carefully!
Leave a Review