Oregano Chicken only takes a few minutes of prep and 30 minutes of oven time and you have a delicious, tender and flavorful meal that the whole family will enjoy.
Chicken was always a go to weekday meal at our house. So many of our family’s tried and true favorite recipes use chicken. This Sesame Chicken is one of those favorite along with this Sticky Coconut Chicken which my kids ask for over and over again. And we love to throw this Asian BBQ Chicken on the grill all year round. Find all my chicken recipes here.
30 Minute Meal
This recipe comes together very quickly and the cooking time is only thirty minutes so you can get dinner on the table quickly!
For years I was strictly a white meat kind of girl. I always chose the breast over the thigh. Fortunately my husband enjoyed the dark meat so it balanced out quite nicely.
Well, a few years ago I discovered how moist and lovely dark meat can be and started using chicken thighs in my cooking. Not only are they flavorful and tender but they are also a lot less expensive!
This recipe calls for chicken thighs but for you non dark meat eaters it would also work just fine with a chicken breast with the skin on and bone in. The cooking time will vary though and the breast will take longer to cook.
How to Make Oregano Chicken
This recipe calls for chicken thighs with the skin on and the bone in. I have also made this recipe with the boneless, skinless chicken thighs but prefer the thighs with the skin on.
You are getting some extra fat with the skin on but the skin forms such a nice lovely, crispy coating that is just so delicious it’s worth the extra calories!
- Trim off any excess skin from the chicken thigh. Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place on a baking sheet.
- Mix together spice blend and rub the spices into both sides of the chicken thigh. The main seasoning in this recipe is oregano but you could substitute that out for another favorite seasoning such as rosemary, basil, thyme or whatever your favorite is. Place the chicken skin side down onto the baking sheet.
- Drizzle the skinless side of the chicken thigh half of a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. So much good flavor here!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Half way through the baking time turn the pieces over and drizzle/brush with the remaining olive oil mixture. Bake until chicken is cooked through (165 degrees F) and the skin is golden brown and crispy.
Here are some delicious side dishes to serve with Oregano Chicken:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
- 6 chicken thighs with the skin and bones
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp minced onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- zest of one lemon!
- Rinse your chicken and then pat dry.
- Mix together seasonings.
- Rub the seasonings over the chicken pieces and place top side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Mix together your oil, lemon juice and zest.
- Drizzle half the mixture over the chicken.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Half way through turn the chicken pieces over and drizzle with the remaining lemon juice mixture.
- After meat is cooked place the pan under your broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the skin if needed. Watch carefully!
Originally posted Feb. 14, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.