cashew rice is a fun dressed up rice dish that is the perfect side dish. It has lots of great color and texture.
We are big rice eaters at our house and I will also pick rice over potatoes. This rice pilaf is a classic at our house, we’ve been making it for decades. This herb rice can be made with fresh or dried herbs and making brown rice in the Instant Pot is so easy!
Once a month we have a potluck dinner with a group of our friends who are also recent empty nesters. We do it on Monday night – the night we reserve for spending with our family. Since none of us have kids at home anymore it is fun to spend it together. It doesn’t seem quite so lonely that way. We take turns hosting at our homes and the host prepares the main dish and the rest of us pitch in with the rest of the meal. My friend Marsha was the hostess this time and fixed a yummy brisket in the crock pot.
I brought a couple of side dishes. Since I am not a potato eater I always opt for rice. I especially love rice with add-ins like nuts. I love a little crunch with my rice.
A quick check in the produce drawer found a red pepper and some green onions. Also, a container of cashews in the pantry became Cashew Rice.
How to Make Cashew Rice
- Chop up red pepper, green onions, and garlic. Saute the mixture in some vegetable oil along with the mustard seeds until the veggies are tender.
- Make the rice in a rice cooker or in a pan on top of the stove according to directions on the package. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine veggie mixture along with lemon zest, cashews and rice in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve warm or chilled.
Cashew Rice allows for a lot of flexibility. Use the veggies you have in your fridge, just chop them up small. You can also switch out the cashews for peanuts, almonds or hazelnuts. See how creative you can get. Not only does this rice have great flavor but I love the texture and the crunch of the veggies and nuts.
Check out some delicious dishes to serve with cashew rice:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Cashew Rice Recipe
- 2 cups Jasmine Rice
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 6 green onions chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- lemon zest
- 1 tsp salt
- In rice cooker or pan combine rice, 1 tsp salt and water. Cover and cook until done.
- Add vegetable oil to frying pan and add mustard seeds, cook for about one minute.
- Add in red pepper, green onions, garlic and cashews. Cook until red peppers are tender but not too soft. About 5 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork and stir in vegetable/nut mixture. Add lemon zest and stir to incorporate. Add in 1 tsp salt if needed.
Originally Posted March 13, 2012
If you’ve tried this recipe or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!