With only 4 ingredients and 30 minutes you can put together a delicious and easy dinner with this recipe for Pan Fried Chicken.
Why You’ll Love This recipe
A delicious dinner in 30 minutes? Yes, it’s doable with this 30 minute Pan Fried Chicken Thighs Recipe. All you need is some chicken, butter, salt and pepper and a cast iron pan. This recipe really does work best in a cast iron pan, so if you don’t have one you should get yourself one! A cast iron pan gets really hot and that is what you need to create the yummy, crispy skin on the chicken. High heat baby!
- Chicken thighs with skin on and bone removed. You want the skin on for this recipe. Do not use skinless chicken thighs.
- Salt and black pepper
- Butter. I use salted butter but if using unsalted butter just add a bit more salt.
How to Remove the Bone from a Chicken Thigh
The only way I have found to buy chicken thighs with the skin on is also with the bone in. You want to remove the bone. This is not hard to do. You just need a nice pair of kitchen shears.
First, rinse your chicken thighs and pat dry with a paper towel.
Second, use your fingers to pull away as much of the meat as you can from the bone and then use your kitchen shears to cut away the remaining meat underneath the bone.
Third, trim off any large pieces of skin that extend beyond the thigh. Be sure and leave the skin that is attached to the thigh there. Trust me, you want as much of that yummy crispy skin as you can get.
How to Make Pan Fried Chicken
- Once the bone is removed, heat up your cast iron skillet and get it nice and hot.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of butter and let it melt. Don’t let it brown or burn.
- While the pan is heating up, salt and pepper your chicken. Be generous. The salt makes the crispy skin even better.
- Place your chicken into your hot pan with the skin side down.
- Reduce your heat to medium hot and allow the chicken to cook for about 9-10 minutes or until the skin is nice and crispy, golden brown.
- About half way through the cooking process (skin side down) rotate the chicken 180 degrees in the pan.
- Flip the chicken and cook the other side for about 7 minutes or until meat is cooked through.
You are now ready for a yummy, delicious, crispy chicken dinner.
Pair Pan Seared Chicken with:
Frequently Asked Questions
Always use a meat thermometer. My favorite one is the ThermaPen. I cook my chicken until it is about 155 degrees F and then let it sit for a few minutes to bring it up to temperature 160-165 degrees F. Do not cut into the chicken to see if it is cooked through. This will release all those lovely juices and dry the chicken out.
You can but I really like the flavor that the butter gives it.
Feel free to experiment with your seasoning. You could use paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, oregano, rosemary or thyme. They would all be delicious.
If you prefer you can use chicken breasts. Use boneless breasts with the skin on. You will most likely have to buy bone in breasts and remove them yourself.
More delicious chicken recipes:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Pan Fried Chicken
- 6 chicken thighs with skin bone removed
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tbs butter
- Using a paper towel, dry off your chicken thighs.
- Salt and pepper generously.
- Heat up butter in cast iron pan over high heat.
- Place chicken thighs into the pan skin side down and reduce heat to medium high.
- Cook for about 10 minutes until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Rotate the thighs halfway through this cooking time 180 degrees.
- Flip over the thighs and cook for another 8-10 minutes skin side up or until meat is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to remove some of the grease. Enjoy!
Leave a Review