Flatbread Pizza has a thin, chewy crust and it’s topped with your favorite pizza toppings. A fun and delicious variation on your favorite pizza.
One of my favorite things to do is recreate a favorite food I’ve eaten at a restaurant. Years ago, I was on a trip with a friend and we ate at a bakery that served a delicious flatbread pizza. I knew I had to recreate it when I got home. With today’s recipe, you too can make a restaurant style flatbread at home!
What is Flatbread?
Traditionally, flatbread is made without yeast and is similar to a Naan bread or Pita bread. For our recipe today we are using yeast, a recipe similar to pizza dough. So today we are making a non, traditional flatbread!
How to Use Flatbread
Flatbread is often served plain but it is also wonderful used as a base for pizza. You can use any of your favorite pizza toppings. Today we are making two different versions, a Margherita Flatbread and a BBQ Chicken Pizza Flatbread.
How to Make Pizza Flatbread
- Proof your yeast in water with a little honey.
- Combine flour and salt in the bowl of mixer. Add in oil, yeast mixture and remaining water and kneed until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixer. It should be soft, but not sticky. Add additional flour if it’s too sticky.
- Cover dough with a clean, damp towel and let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place until doubled in size
- Divide the dough into four pieces and form into balls.
- Roll out each ball of dough into a 9 x 6 inch rectangle.
- Place dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush each piece with olive oil.
- Prick dough with fork to prevent large bubbles from forming (not pictured)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then remove and top flatbread with your favorite pizza toppings.
Margherita Pizza Flatbread
- Brush with a thin layer of pizza sauce, leaving the edges of the crust uncovered.
- Cover with a layer of sliced mozzarella
- Add sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with dried basil and some Parmesan cheese.
- After it is baked add fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
BBQ Chicken Pizza Flatbread
- Brush par baked crust with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Add a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce to your shredded chicken and stir to coat. Add chicken to pizza.
- Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese, red onion and cilantro.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
What’s the Difference Between Flatbread Pizza and Regular Pizza?
This Flatbread Pizza is thinner and chewier than my regular pizza crust. My pizza crust recipe is thicker and softer than this flatbread pizza crust. Because flatbread is thinner, it also cooks faster. I usually par bake my crust, add my toppings and then bake for a few more minutes to get the cheese melted.
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
We are big pizza fans at our house. Check out more of our favorite pizzas recipes:
Flatbread Pizza Recipe
- 1 pkg of active dry yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup warm water 105-115 degrees
- 3 cups flour plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
Margherita Flatbread – per pizza
- 2 Tbsp pizza sauce
- 6 slices Mozzarella cheese sliced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 2 Tbs Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- basil leaves garnish
- balsamic glaze garnish
BBQ Chicken Flatbread – per pizza
- 1/3 cup shredded chicken
- 4 Tbsp BBQ Sauce divided
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 1 Tbsp red onion diced
- 1 tsp cilantro chipped
- Dissolve yeast and honey in 1/4 C of the warm water and let sit until bubbly
- In mixer combine flour and salt
- Add oil, yeast mixture and remaining warm water and mix on low until dough pulls away from the sides of bowl and clusters around the dough hook and is not sticky. (May need to add a bit more flour)
- Place in a clean and lightly greased bowl
- Cover with a clean, damp towel and let rise for about 30 minutes in a warm place until doubled in size
- Divide the dough into four pieces
- Form into a ball and cover with a damp towel and let rest for 15-20 minutes
- At this point the dough can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for a few days or made into flatbread
- To make flatbread, place a piece of parchment on counter and dust lightly with flour and roll out the dough into a thin, roundish shape
- At least 9 inches in diameter
- Lightly brush rolled out dough with olive oil and use a fork to prick the surface of the dough to prevent air pockets from forming while baking
- Preheat oven and baking stone in oven to 450 degrees F.
- Par bake crust for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut into pieces with a pizza cutter and enjoy!
- Remove from oven and add desired sauce and toppings. Return to oven for 8-10 more minutes until crust is golden brown.