One of my favorite ways to use herbs is in bread. Not only does this Cheesy Flatbread with Fresh Herbs taste yummy but it smells heavenly as it is baking!
Last week at the herb class I taught at my home I shared a couple of different breads made with herbs.
The first one was the No Knead Bread I have shared here on the blog before. The only thing you need to turn it into Herb No Knead Bread is 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh herbs. I think I used a combination of rosemary, thyme and oregano but I don’t really remember. Experiment with your favorite herbs and see what you come up with!
The second herb bread I shared at the class was Flatbread with Fresh Herbs. I do not remember where this recipe came from but it’s a good one.
(Do you see a trend here …no memory!)
It is simple to prepare. I used pizza dough I purchased at the grocery store. Here in Portland you can get it at Trader Joes or Winco or you can make your own from scratch.
Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each piece into a long rectangle (try to get them as close to the same size as possible). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
Place basil leaves on dough and then sprinkle with rosemary.
Place second rectangle over the herbs. Flatten a little with a rolling pin or a glass. Edges do not need to be sealed.
Brush egg mixture over the top.
Sprinkle on the cheeses.
Slice, eat and enjoy!
Flatbread with Fresh Herbs
- Pizza dough or crescent dinner rolls 8 oz. refrigerated can or your own pizza dough or roll dough
- 1/2 C fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 C freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C grated Mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Roll dough into 2 long rectangles
- Place one rectangle on ungreased cookie sheet
- Place basil leaves on dough
- Then sprinkle rosemary on top of basil
- Place second rectangle over the herbs
- Flatten a little with rollling pin or bottle
- Brush egg over top
- Sprinkle on the cheeses (you can also add other cheese you like)
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.