One of my favorite ways to use herbs is in bread. Not only does this Cheesy Herb Flatbread taste yummy but it smells heavenly as it is baking!
Last week at the herb class I taught at my home I shared a couple of different breads made with herbs.
The first one was the No Knead Bread I have shared here on the blog before. The only thing you need to turn it into Herb No Knead Bread is 1 Tbsp of chopped fresh herbs. I used a combination of rosemary, thyme and oregano. Experiment with your favorite herbs and see what you come up with!
The second herb bread I shared at the class was Flatbread with Fresh Herbs. It is a simple and fun to prepare and looks so fancy. You can switch up your herbs and cheese for different flavor combinations.
How to Make Herb Flatbread
- Dough – You can purchase a store bought pizza dough to make it extra easy or you can make your own from scratch. You can usually find premade pizza dough in the deli section of the grocery store. I love using my pizza dough recipe.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each piece into a long rectangle (try to get them as close to the same size as possible). Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Fresh Herbs – this flatbread is really all about the fresh herbs so if you don’t have fresh herbs I would recommend making Rosemary Bread or Italian Herb Breadsticks instead. For this flatbread I used a combination of fresh basil, rosemary, and chives but you can totally get creative and use your favorite herb combination.
- Place second rectangle over the herbs. Flatten the two layers of dough a little with a rolling pin or a glass. Edges do not need to be sealed.
- Add Cheese – first brush egg mixture over the top and sprinkle with cheese. I like to use a combination of Mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. You can also sprinkle on some chopped garlic or garlic salt over the cheese to make it a delicious Cheesy Garlic Herb Flatbread.
- Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Slice and serve.
Herb Flatbread is the perfect addition to so many different meals and it also makes a great appetizer. I love to serve it with some of my favorite soups or pasta dishes.
Serve Herb Flatbread with:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Flatbread with Fresh Herbs
- 1 lb. Pizza dough
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary leaves chopped
- 1 Tbsp chives chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese grated
- 1-2 tsp garlic minced, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees
- Divide dough in half and roll into two rectangles.
- Place one rectangle on ungreased cookie sheet
- Place fresh herbs onto dough.
- Place second rectangle over the herbs
- Flatten a little with rollling pin or bottle
- Brush egg over top and sprinkle with cheeses. Add minced garlic if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes