Eggnog Cookies are the perfect Christmas cookie. They are a soft and chewy cookie topped with eggnog flavored frosting.
I am a big eggnog fan and as soon as I see it hit the stores each holiday season I am a happy girl!
And even when they don’t have it in the stores I often make my own homemade eggnog.
The eggnog flavor in these cookies is subtle so even if you don’t like eggnog these cookies are delicious.
They are a sugar cookie and are the perfect texture. A little crispy on the edges and soft and chewy in the inside.
I used my buttercream frosting recipe but instead of whipping cream I used eggnog along with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top for that yummy eggnog flavor. If you aren’t a frosting fan the cookie has enough flavor to stand on it’s own.
How to Make Eggnog Cookies
- Use softened butter which means that when you poke it with your finger it will leave an indentation without your finger going too far into the butter. You don’t want the butter too soft.
- Cream your butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy.
- Combine dry ingredients together, including the nutmeg and cinnamon and then add into the wet ingredients.
- Mix until just combined. Don’t overmix your cookie dough, you get tough cookies that way.
- Place the cookie balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. They will spread a bit so don’t make them too big or place them too close together.
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes or until slightly brown around the edges.
- Cool and frost. Finish them off with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.
Can I Freeze Them?
They freeze fine, just be sure and place a layer of wax paper between each layer of cookies so they don’t stick together.
Find all my tips on freezing baked cookies here.
You can make these cookies a few days ahead, they tend to soften up the next day or two.
Some of our other favorite Christmas cookies include these:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Eggnog Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cups butter softened
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp eggnog more or less as needed
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- nutmeg for sprinkling.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Add in eggs, eggnog and vanilla extract
- Combine dry ingredients including flour, nutmeg, salt baking powder, cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients into wet and stir until just combined.
- Form dough into balls, make them small as they spread a bit.
- Bake for 14 -15 minutes or until lightly brown on edges.
- Combine powdered sugar and egg nog to get a good spreading consistency.
- Frost cookies and sprinkle with a bit of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes:
- Don’t overmix cookie dough.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper
- I love to frost the cookies but they have enough flavor to stand on their own without frosting.