Breakfast for dinner can be quick, easy and yummy thanks to this Chorizo and Eggs. The delicious flavor from the chorizo will spice up your regular breakfast routine!
After a week of treats, we are ready for a little more protein and some good low carb recipes. This recipe is both! Chorizo is full of delicious Mexican spices and is a quick and easy way to make a great breakfast for dinner dish.
Whenever time or ideas are short for dinner, breakfast is a great option. This dish can easily be recreated with any type of sausage, but the flavor of chorizo can’t be beat! It brings a little heat and a ton of flavor to your eggs. You can also use a regular breakfast sausage or Italian sausage if you prefer.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a Spanish word and is a pork or beef sausage. I used a Mexican Pork Chorizo, there are also Spanish and Portuguese, all variations on a theme. The Mexican version is usually easily available in the meat department of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it at yours you may need to find a local Mexican/Latin market.
How to make Chorizo and Eggs
- First, cook your sausage. The Chorizo will give off a lot of fat so be sure and let it drain on some paper towels. I like to blot the top of the sausage too.
- Saute your onions and pepper in a little olive oil until soft. If you want a milder version, use a green pepper instead of a jalapeno. Add in beaten eggs and cook until desired doneness.
- Add in chorizo and stir to combine.
- Top your chorizo and eggs with grated cheddar cheese and some Mexican cotija cheese which is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico. Garnish with chopped cilantro and you’ve got a great meal!
- If you are not worried about carbs serve it wrapped up in a flour tortilla for a fun breakfast burrito. So for a quick and easy, low carb/low glycemic dinner or breakfast give Chorizo Egg Scramble a try.
Check out these other easy breakfast recipes:
Chorizo and Eggs Recipe
Chorizo and Eggs
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 lb. chorizo If you can only find it in the casings just remove the casings and crumble.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C onion white or red
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 C cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C cotija cheese crumbled
- cilantro chopped for topping
- flour tortillas
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a large frying pan until browned and cooked through and crumbly If sausage is sticking to the bottom of your pan, add about 1/4 cup water. After it is cooked through, about 8 minutes, place sausage on a paper towel lined plate and allow fat to absorb . Cover with another paper towel and blot the sausage.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Mix eggs in a bowl
- Add eggs to pan with onion and jalapeno and cook until scrambled.
- Add sausage into the cooked eggs. Stir to combine.
- Top with cheeses and cilantro.
- Can also be served rolled up in a flour tortilla.
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.