Breakfast for dinner can be quick, easy and yummy thanks to this Chorizo and Eggs. The delicious flavor from the chorizo will spice up your regular breakfast routine!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe!
Whenever time or ideas are short for dinner, breakfast is a great option. This dish can easily be recreated with any type of sausage, but the flavor of chorizo can’t be beat! It brings a little heat and a ton of flavor to your eggs. You can also use a regular breakfast sausage or Italian sausage if you prefer.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a Spanish word and is a pork or beef sausage. I used a Mexican Pork Chorizo, there are also Spanish chorizo and Portuguese, all variations on a theme. The Mexican chorizo is usually easily available in the meat department of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it at yours you may need to find a local Mexican/Latin market.
- Eggs. I use large eggs
- Chorizo. You can use a breakfast sausage too.
- Olive oil
- Onion. You can use white, yellow or red.
- Jalapeno pepper
- Cheddar cheese. You can also use Monterey Jack.
- Cotija cheese
How to make Chorizo and Eggs
- Cook your sausage in a large skillet. The Chorizo will give off a lot of fat so be sure and let it drain on some paper towels. I like to blot the top of the sausage too.
- Saute your onions and pepper in a little olive oil until soft. If you want a milder version, use a green pepper instead of a jalapeno. Add in beaten eggs and cook until desired doneness.
- Add in chorizo and stir to combine.
- Top your chorizo and eggs with grated cheddar cheese and some Mexican cotija cheese which is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and you’ve got a great meal!
Serve this with:
- Flour Tortillas. Wrap up for a breakfast burrito
- Corn Tortillas. Make breakfast tacos.
- Biscuits. Serve as a breakfast sandwich
- Black Beans
- Refried Beans
Frequently Asked Questions
Leftovers can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat,
There are several different style of chorizo, the most common and the one we use is the Mexican chorizo. There is also Spanish and Portuguese. Most stores carry the Mexican variety.
Try these other delicious recipes using sausage:
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Chorizo and Eggs
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 lb. chorizo If you can only find it in the casings just remove the casings and crumble.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion white or red
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- cilantro chopped for topping
- flour tortillas
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a large frying pan until browned and cooked through and crumbly If sausage is sticking to the bottom of your pan, add about 1/4 cup water. After it is cooked through, about 8 minutes, place sausage on a paper towel lined plate and allow fat to absorb . Cover with another paper towel and blot the sausage.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Mix eggs in a bowl
- Add eggs to pan with onion and jalapeno and cook until scrambled.
- Add sausage into the cooked eggs. Stir to combine.
- Top with cheeses and cilantro.
- Can also be served rolled up in a flour tortilla.
Leave a Review