Breakfast for dinner can be quick, easy and yummy thanks to this Chorizo and Eggs. The delicious flavor from the chorizo will spice up your regular breakfast routine!
After a week of treats, we are ready for a little more protein and some good low carb recipes. This recipe is both! Chorizo is full of delicious Mexican spices and is a quick and easy way to make a great breakfast for dinner dish.
Breakfast for Dinner
Whenever time or ideas are short for dinner, breakfast is a great option. This dish can easily be recreated with any type of sausage, but the flavor of chorizo can’t be beat! It brings a little heat and a ton of flavor to your eggs. You can also use a regular breakfast sausage or Italian sausage if you prefer.
What is Chorizo?
Chorizo is a Spanish word and is a pork or beef sausage. I used a Mexican Pork Chorizo, there are also Spanish and Portuguese, all variations on a theme. The Mexican version is usually easily available in the meat department of most grocery stores. If you can’t find it at yours you may need to find a local Mexican/Latin market.
How to make Chorizo and Eggs
- Cook your sausage. The Chorizo will give off a lot of fat so be sure and let it drain on some paper towels. I like to blot the top of the sausage too.
- Saute your onions and pepper in a little olive oil until soft. If you want a milder version, use a green pepper instead of a jalapeno. Add in beaten eggs and cook until desired doneness.
- Add in chorizo and stir to combine.
- Top your chorizo and eggs with grated cheddar cheese and some Mexican cotija cheese which is a hard cow’s milk cheese from Mexico.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and you’ve got a great meal!
How to Serve Chorizo and Eggs
If you are not worried about carbs serve it wrapped up in a flour tortilla for a fun breakfast burrito. To save on carbs serve it just as it is! For a quick and easy, low carb/low glycemic dinner or breakfast give Chorizo Egg Scramble a try.
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos!
Chorizo and Eggs Recipe
Chorizo and Eggs
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 lb. chorizo If you can only find it in the casings just remove the casings and crumble.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion white or red
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled
- cilantro chopped for topping
- flour tortillas
- Cook sausage over medium heat in a large frying pan until browned and cooked through and crumbly If sausage is sticking to the bottom of your pan, add about 1/4 cup water. After it is cooked through, about 8 minutes, place sausage on a paper towel lined plate and allow fat to absorb . Cover with another paper towel and blot the sausage.
- Saute onion and jalapeno in oil for a few minutes until softened.
- Mix eggs in a bowl
- Add eggs to pan with onion and jalapeno and cook until scrambled.
- Add sausage into the cooked eggs. Stir to combine.
- Top with cheeses and cilantro.
- Can also be served rolled up in a flour tortilla.