Nothing beats a fresh flour tortilla. And you will make them at home once you see how easy it is to make homemade flour tortillas.
I could just eat homemade flour tortillas for dinner – with nothing on them. Or I could just dip them in some of that yummy salsa that is in my refrigerator. I really would be completely happy.
To create your own bit of heaven, all you need is some flour, salt, baking powder, water and a little fat. I used olive oil but you could also use shortening if you prefer. I’ve used both and really couldn’t tell a difference. Olive oil is probably healthier.
After mixing all your ingredients together, divide your dough into 10-12 pieces. Use your rolling pin to roll out each ball of dough as thin as you can get it.
Then you are going to dry fry the tortillas. Dry fry means means you don’t use any fat or oil.
Watch for the flour tortillas to bubble.
Then flip it over. You want to see some nice brown spots.
I then put the tortillas on a plate under a towel to keep them soft and warm until we are ready to eat.
Of course I sneak a tortilla or to during the process!
Then serve your homemade flour tortillas with your favorite filling. I love them with chicken fajitas!
Homemade Flour Tortillas
- 3 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 C warm water
- 1 Tbsp shortening or 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt
- Add in water and oil or shortening and mix until combined
- Knead with hands on a floured surface until smooth
- Divide into 10-12 balls
- Cover with a towel and let sit for 10-15 minutes
- To form tortilla, roll out each ball of dough using your rolling pin until thin
- Preheat griddle or frying pan to about 350-375 degrees
- Place tortilla on griddle an allow to cook until it begins to bubble and blister
- Turn tortilla and cook other side until golden brown spots form
- Stack tortillas on a plate under a towel to keep them soft and warm