Tender pork simmered in green chili verde sauce is the secret to success with this slow cooker pork chili verde recipe.
With three of our children living in Utah we make a lot of visits there and one of our favorite places to eat over the years has been Los Hermanos. I always order the same thing, yes, I am one of those! My favorite dish is their Pork Chili Verde. Since Utah is a little far to go when I am craving this dish I figured out how to make it at home!
What is Chili Verde?
Verde means green in Spanish. This Mexican dish is traditionally made with pork cooked in a sauce of roasted tomatillos and chilis. The pork is slow cooked in the sauce until tender so the slow cooker is the perfect way to make it.
This recipe make a large batch, so it is perfect for a big family meal or to save for leftovers.
Green Chili Verde Ingredients
- Pork Shoulder
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Salsa Verde
- Green Chilis
- Tomatillos. I used canned
To make this recipe easy to make at home I used canned green chilis and tomatillos. You could also use fresh tomatillos and just peel, chop and then blend in the blender.
How to Make Pork Chili Verde
- Brown the meat in oil over medium heat in a heavy pan.
- Add meat into slow cooker along with all the ingredients except for cornstarch.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4 hours.
- During the last hour, remove one cup of liquid and add in 2 Tbsp of cornstarch.
- Pour this mixture back into crockpot to allow sauce to thicken in the remaining hour.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chili Verde
I love to serve it on top of a flour tortilla topped with a bed of lime cilantro rice and topped with some grated Monterey Jack cheese. You can serve it open faced or rolled up as a burrito or enchilada and add more sauce over the top.
How Long Will Chili Verde Last?
This pork stew stays will last in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and can be frozen for 2 months.
For other yummy Mexican Slow Cooker meals check out these:
For all my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes.
Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos.
Slow Cooker Pork Chili Verde Recipe
Slow Cooker Pork Chili Verde
- 4 lbs. boneless pork shoulder or carnitas cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 14 oz. green enchilada sauce
- 16 oz. salsa verde
- 4 oz. diced green chilies
- 28 oz. canned tomatillos diced
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt more to taste if needed
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup juice from slow cooker
- Heat oil in heavy pan.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until onions begin to soften.
- Add in cubed pork and brown on all sides. (may need to do in more than one batch)
- Put pork and onion mixture into slow cooker.
- Add in salsa, enchilada sauce, chilies and tomatillos.
- Add in cumin and salt.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or cook on low for four hours.
- An hour before done remove 1 C of liquid from slow cooker and combine with corn starch.
- Put back into slow cooker, stir and allow to thicken for remaining hour.
- Meat will be tender and pull apart easily when done.