Pasta is a standby meal at our house. Whenever I can’t think of what to fix for dinner, pasta usually comes to the rescue. All you really need are some noodles or pasta(I used nice big fat, egg noodles this time), some meat (chicken or sausage usually), some vegetables (fresh chopped tomatoes, onion and tomato paste), some liquid (chicken broth) and some other seasonings (garlic, Italian seasoning, Dijon mustard and parsley) and of course a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese – Fresh Tomato and Chicken Pasta for dinner!
The sauce can be made in almost the same amount of time as it takes the noodles to boil.
It’s also a great way to make a little meat (one chicken breast) go a long way. You’ve also got most of your major food groups all in one dish. I just added a spinach salad to go with it and we were good to go. Quick and easy dinner time solution.
What’s your standby, go to meal??
Fresh Tomato and Chicken Pasta
- 1 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 C chicken broth
- 2 C chopped tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- Heat butter and oil in pan over medium heat.
- Saute chicken until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and add onions and herbs.
- Cook until onions are soft.
- Add in chicken broth, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and garlic.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Increase heat to high and cook for 3 more minutes. Sauce will thicken up.
- Stir in mustard and chicken. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve over noodles or pasta.
Adapted from The Junior League Centennial Cookbook
Recipe originally posted over at 30 Handmade Days today.
Need more recipes and creative ideas? Sign up and get a FREE copy of my ebook! Do you think your friends would love this too? Please share my blog with them. Thanks!