Sausage Tortellini soup is full of delicious flavors and is the perfect cold weather meal. It is packed with tortellini, sausage, and zucchini and I guarantee everyone will want the recipe.
Most Popular Soup Recipe Ever
The recipe for this Sausage Tortellini soup is the probably the recipe I have had the most requests for. Every time I have made it someone or multiple someones ask me for the recipe. The recipe was given to me years ago by a friend and it’s been a frequent visitor to our weekly meal plan ever since.
The soup has a rich tomato based soup and is full of vegetables, Italian sausage and cheese tortellini. I usually use a sweet Italian sausage but a spicy one would be yummy too. I used carrots and zucchini but feel free to add in your favorite vegetable too. Top off each bowl with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley.
How to Make Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Brown and Saute Brown your sausage in a pan, remove and and saute your onions and garlic in the same pan.
- Boil and Simmer Add in liquid and all other ingredients except for zucchini and tortellini, bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Tortellini & Zucchini. Add in the zucchini and tortellini about 15-20 minutes before serving. Simmer until tortellini is cooked through.
Tips for Making Sausage Tortellini Soup
- Italian Sausage I use a mild ground sausage but if you like a bit of a kick, use spicy Italian sausage.
- Fresh/Frozen Tortellini? You can use fresh or frozen cheese tortellini, both work great. The frozen tortellini may just take a bit longer to cook.
- Vegetables I use zucchini and carrots but you could also add in mushrooms and peppers. Saute the peppers along with the carrots and add the mushrooms in with the zucchini.
- How to Freeze Soup? This soup freezes great, just don’t add the tortellini before freezing. It absorbs too much of the soup and begins to break down. Add the tortellini in right before freezing. To freeze, cook the soup to room temperature and then place in a large freezer bag or freezer container. I prefer to use freezer bags because they can be frozen flat and thaw out quickly.
This soup is the perfect cold weather meal, it will warm you up and fill you up at the same time! It is a great recipe to share with friends and neighbors who are under the weather. They always love it!
Check out more of my favorite hearty soup recipes:
For all of my other favorite kitchen products and tools visit my Amazon Store.
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes
Sausage Tortellini Soup Recipe
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup carrots thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 14 oz. diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 5 cups beef or chicken broth
- 1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 29 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 oz. fresh meat or cheese tortellini I use cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage, remove from pan and drain.
- Set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic until tender.
- Add water,broth, carrots, tomatoes, basil, oregano, tomato sauce and sausage.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes.
- Skim off any fat and stir in zucchini and tortellini.
- Simmer for an additional 20 minutes or until tortellini and zucchini are tender.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
If you’ve tried this soup or any other recipe on Your Homebased Mom, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know how it went in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Get my Weekly Menu Plan for FREE!
Receive my FREE "What's for Dinner?" Meal Planning Course, a copy of my FREE ebook that includes my most popular recipes and my FREE weekly Meal Plan.