This quick and easy green bean chicken is the perfect weeknight meal. It has tender and juicy chicken and perfectly cooked green beans that are covered in a delicious sauce.
String Bean Chicken
One of my favorite quick and easy meal ideas that is also healthy is stir fry. Green bean chicken is the perfect combination of a little protein with some veggies and a yummy sauce. It’s delicious and easy and is the perfect meal for any busy weeknight. You can switch it up depending on what vegetables you have on hand.
Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients
Besides the meat and the vegetable a good, flavorful sauce is essential for a good stir fry.
- Sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Rice vinegar
Add all the ingredients together and stir to combine.
How to Blanche Green Beans
I like my vegetables to stay slightly crisp in my stir fry and don’t want them over cooked. A quick and easy way to cook your green beans is to blanche or steam them for just 2 minutes in the microwave first before adding them to the stir fry.
- Snap off the ends of the beans.
- Put them in a ziploc bag.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes and then let them sit.
They will be firm and a pretty green. They are ready to add into the stir fry and will cook much quicker and more evenly.
How Do You Cook Chicken for Stir Fry
After blanching my green beans I cook my chicken. I like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts but you could also use chicken thighs.
- Cut the chicken up into bite size pieces.
- Coat the chicken with cornstarch. this will give the chicken a light crispy coating. If you prefer, you can leave the cornstarch off.
- Cook the chicken in sesame oil until cooked through The meat will be golden brown and crispy on the edges. Sesame oil provides great flavor.
How to Make Green Bean Chicken
- Remove chicken from the pan and add some additional sesame oil.
- Add green beans and stir until they begin to blister or brown slightly only 2-3 minutes. Remember they are already cooked so don’t cook them too long.
Add back in chicken.
Pour stir fry sauce over and stir everything together to coat with sauce.
Stir Fry Variations
Instead of or in addition to green beans you can use:
- Snap Peas
- Bell Peppers
What to Serve with Green Bean Chicken
One of the best things about a stir fry is that it is a stand alone meal with your protein and vegetable all in one dish. If you want to add a starch I like to serve it with white or Brown Rice
More Stir Fry Recipes to try:
- Pepper Chicken Stir Fry
- Almond Chicken
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- Cashew Chicken
- Thai Basil Chicken
- General Tso Chicken
Did you know I wrote a cookbook? Check out the Holiday Slow Cooker Cookbook for 100 delicious recipes. Be sure and follow me over on You Tube for weekly cooking demos
Green Bean Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 lb. green beans
- 2-3 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp chili paste
- sesame seeds
- Mix together ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, chili paste
- Steam green beans by placing them in a Ziploc baggie and microwaving on high for about 2 minutes until crisp tender and bright green
- Heat 2 Tbsp. sesame oil in pan over medium heat
- Sprinkle chicken with cornstarch. Add chicken into hot oil and cook through . Will be golden brown and crispy on the edges.
- Remove chicken from pan
- Add remaining oil to pan and add green beans. Stir until they begin to blister.
- Add chicken back in and add in sauce. Stir to coat.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Originally posted July 1, 2011