Caramel Chicken is the perfect combination of a little heat and a little sweet. The slightly sweet, spicy and sticky caramel like sauce that coats the chicken gives it it’s name. And the delicious taste will have you quickly adding this dish to your dinner rotation.
I first had Caramel Chicken at a downtown restaurant here in Portland, Oregon several years ago. Just one bite and I fell in love with the sweet and spicy flavor. I often thought about that caramel chicken and finally decided I needed to just make it myself. So that is exactly what I did!
Caramel Chicken is going to become one of those go to, make it once a week, family favorite type of dinners. The flavor is a combination of sweet and spicy without being overly sweet. The sauce makes a delicious slightly sticky glaze over the chicken. That is where it gets the name caramel chicken from! Even your fussiest eaters are going to love this one.
If you have people that don’t enjoy the heat, just reduce the amount of red pepper flakes you put into the dish. You can even leave them out if you prefer. For full heat, use 1 – 1 1/2 tsp. and for light heat use 1/4 -1/2 tsp.
The dish if wonderful served over rice with a garnish of peanuts, cilantro and green onions. Put this one on the menu plan this week!
Check out more of my easy dinner recipes.
Some of my favorite kitchen tools I use:
RICE COOKER – This 8 cup rice cooker is the perfect size. You get perfect rice every time.
5 QT. NON STICK FRYING PAN – this is my go to frying pan. The one I use more than any other. I love that it has a lid.
Caramel Chicken Recipe
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 4 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 - 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 2 green onions diced
- sesame seeds toasted
- cilantro chopped for garnish
- Mix together brown sugar, fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Mix to dissolve sugar. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in chicken
- Add 1/4 cup of sauce over chicken. Cook until the mixture because syrup like.
- Pour in the remaining sauce and cook until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside.
- Add in peanuts, red pepper flakes and green onions.
- Garnish with cilantro