Several weeks ago I asked a question on Facebook. If you had to pick one food to eat the rest of your life, what would it be?
The answers were great and fun to read. My answer was pizza.
I love pizza and when you think about it, it is really a pretty healthy food because it hits so many of the basic food groups!
Although I am basically a plain jane, cheese pizza kind of girl I do enjoy a specialty pizza now and then. At our house that usually means we use whatever is in the refrigerator.
Last week I had an extra chicken breast leftover and some pesto I had bought (the kind in the jar) so we had pesto chicken pizza.
I’ve shared my great pizza crust and pizza sauce recipe before. This time I just added a few spoonfuls of the pesto in with the sauce and coated my precooked chicken with a few more spoonfuls of pesto!
So easy and so delicious. Of course, one of the tricks to really excellent pizza is using “real” mozzarella cheese. The stuff you have to slice, not the pre-grated stuff in the bag. I also give it a nice dusting of freshly grated Parmesan cheese too.
I cook my pizza on a preheated pizza stone so I end up with a nice crispy crust. So am I the only one that would pick pizza as their one and only food to eat!?
- 1 C precooked chicken, about 1 chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
- 4-5 Tablespoons Pesto
- Pizza Dough
- Pizza Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese, sliced
- Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Mix 2 Tablespoons of pesto with cut up chicken.
- Mix 2 Tablespoons pesto with pizza sauce.
- Cover pizza paddle or backside of a cookie sheet with a light layer of cornmeal.
- Roll out dough (may need to add a little extra flour).
- Add a layer of sauce, pesto chicken and then cheese.
- Add a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese at the end.
- Slide pizza from paddle or cookie sheet into oven onto the hot pizza stone.
- Cook in oven preheated to 450 degrees for about 10-12 minutes until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned and edges of crust are golden brown.